Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
I?m currently running an Evergrow IT2080 LED (32? x9?) on my 75 gallon tank (48?x18?x21?). I really like my LEDs but now I?m starting to get some shadowing on some SPS that have grown a bit. I?d like to expand the light coverage so am thinking of adding a 2 bulb 36? T5 retro fixture. I?m considering a 48? T5 fixture as well but think it may look weird if it?s that much longer than my LED (no canopy).

I?m considering the LET Micro 2-39W fixture with ATI Coral Plus and Blue Plus bulbs. Any opinions on the fixture/bulbs or recommended alternatives in similar price range? Any thoughts on how to hang them from the same ceiling supports to try and give a clean look? I?m sure there are some threads out there with similar examples, but I seem to keep finding led/t5 combos on rails within a canopy instead.

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
I was actually considering the same thing, but just on a 36" tank im running a Photon 24 and having the same issues. Would 2 t5's be enough or would it have to be 4?

All depends on your setup: width of fixture, aquascape, location of corals. I think 2 bulbs will give me what I'm looking for. There will still be some areas of my tank that aren't directly under light but I keep mushrooms/zoas in these areas anyway so I'm fine with it. Full light coverage of your tank is optimal for coral growth but I don't want that large of a fixture hanging over my tank. Once everything's grown out to colonies, then I may not have a choice

cypher

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Ai sol change to Ati t5

I changed my ai sol blue to a Ati sunpower 8x80 I'm just testing the waters to see how the coral grow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 176

petraio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I changed my ai sol blue to a Ati sunpower 8x80 I'm just testing the waters to see how the coral grow

not a good idea to keep t5 fixture so close it will bleach your corals trust me i have been running t5 at fixture for 4 years on my 120 sps only and when i get new corals need to place them at the bottom while they get used to lighting !!

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
not a good idea to keep t5 fixture so close it will bleach your corals trust me i have been running t5 at fixture for 4 years on my 120 sps only and when i get new corals need to place them at the bottom while they get used to lighting !!

+1 that's way too close especially since you just changed to it. That fixture gives complete coverage and par of a MH. I would be at least 10"-12" while you acclimate everything.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
So, no thoughts on the fixture?

I would either add a second evergrow, or get rid of the LED and go with an 8 bulb ATI T5.
I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but retrofitting a couple t5's won't do much for coverage, and the addition will ruin the clean look of the fixture.

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
I would either add a second evergrow, or get rid of the LED and go with an 8 bulb ATI T5.
I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but retrofitting a couple t5's won't do much for coverage, and the addition will ruin the clean look of the fixture.

You're supposed to tell me what I want to hear.

I'll eventually transition to all T5 but I didn't want to get rid of my Evergrow just yet. The addition of the 2 bulbs will allow me to bring the Evergrow closer to the front of the tank which should help with the shadowing problem I'm having with a few SPS. Seems like a quick, cheap fix for now. Not sure what will happen first, a larger tank or the 8 bulb ATI on the current setup.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: