DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hey Everyone, So I have decided I am not happy with my aquascaping. After seeing all the pictures of everyones tanks I feel that my tank can look so much better with some different rock work. Here is the problem:
My tank is mostly made up of 2 huge pieces and 1 medium piece of rock
The 2 huge pieces have corals all over them
WHAT DO I DO?

How do i go about even attempting to do this so that all my corals survive?

What tools do I need?

gcfishreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We use a wet saw (diamond blade) or just a cheisel and hammer etc....
just be careful on the corals >>not all corals can be cut

Good Luck and if u need any more info call

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Doc, any chance you can remove the corals from the rock? Your tank is recently young, so I'm thinking the corals have NOT encrusted themselves onto the rocks. If you can dislodge them, then all you have to do is break up the rocks. I've broken rocks with chisel and hammer, and some with flat screw driver and hammer. Problem with those methods is that you don't know exactly how the rock will break.:(

BUT, are you sure you really need to break up your rocks? Is it possible to rearrange them towards different positions that will make you happier?

bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
Herr Doctor,

The easy way to break live rock where you want it broken is to drill several 1/4" holes 1/2" apart along the line you want it to break. Then when you use a chisel, it will break along the plane that you drilled the holes. HTH.

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I bet your aquascaping wasn't really that bad. I know how you feel when you look at photos of other people's tanks and think "damn how do they do that and why does it look so impossible". Back on your situation drilling the rock is the best bet or just change the rock all together for smaller rock saves you the trouble of probably getting more live rock rubble.

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
LMFAO
you all have some great ideas!

I woke up this morning and was like "heck no" I am not risking messing everything up when so far all is going well
I will try and change it around and see how it goes
Pics later on!

Thanks again for all the laughs and replies

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: