stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I'm currently using a calcium reactor on my 120gal and wanted to know if it was a good idea to add a kalk reactor. Is anyone currently using this combo? If so what do you think about it.

-Steve

Hitsnorth

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I was doing both for a while thinking the Kalk would raise my PH and the Calcium reactor would lower it. I got lazy and stopped using the Kalk and nothing happened. My calcium and Alk are easier to get under control with just the Calcium reactor. I was using Kalk as top off so it was variable how much Kalk got into my tank. With the calcium reactor its the same and if your Calcium starts going down you can just adjust the reactor to put out more.

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
marrone said:
Steve

I saw Reefman tank on Sunday and he was using a Cal reactor and a Kalk reactor/drip system, so he would be some good to check with.

Michael

marrone,

how have you been? hope all is well...

i saw reefomans tank, he doesnt have the kalk or calcium reactor plumbed in yet. hopefully we will see some good results soon.

-steve

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Hitsnorth said:
I was doing both for a while thinking the Kalk would raise my PH and the Calcium reactor would lower it. I got lazy and stopped using the Kalk and nothing happened. My calcium and Alk are easier to get under control with just the Calcium reactor. I was using Kalk as top off so it was variable how much Kalk got into my tank. With the calcium reactor its the same and if your Calcium starts going down you can just adjust the reactor to put out more.

hmmm.... did the kalk reactor help keep your alk levels up? the reason i want to go with a kalk reactor was to help with my alk situation.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Steve,
On a relatively small system (120g), you should only need to consider a kalk reactor or kalk drip if your Ca reactor cannot keep up with the Ca & alk. Some people also add kalk for the PH swing in a small system.

Did you try raising your bubble count without increasing your drip rate to compensate for the low alk? Is your effluent alk 30+ DKH?

Last edited:

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
pecan2phat said:
Did you try raising your bubble count without increasing your drip rate to compensate for the low alk? Is your effluent alk 30+ DKH?

i'll measure my effluent later and see what happens...

Hitsnorth

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
My alk stayed at 10 dKH and my calcium level 400-425. I havent used Kalk in a while and its still the same if I notice my Calcium or Alk levels going down I could crank up my reactor to output more.

You cant have good Calcium levels without good Alk levels so you can just test for Alk. As long as your Alk and PH levels are good your Calcium levels will also be good. I didnt trust this at first but after seeing the same calcium levels test after test I stopped worrying about it. If I notice a change in my Alk or PH I would be concerned.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
stingnyc said:
marrone,

how have you been? hope all is well...

i saw reefomans tank, he doesnt have the kalk or calcium reactor plumbed in yet. hopefully we will see some good results soon.

-steve

Steve

Everything is good has some Gall stone last night and still sore from them :headache:

Where I was there on Sunday Reefman had the Cal reactor going and the same with the Kal, atleast I think the Kal was running. He rewrited the kal with his own computer so it would work better. He wants to change to sps coral also.

Your tank looks alot fuller since the day I saw it, don't go to fast or you'll finish the tank off and have nothing more to do. ;)

Michael

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
pecan2phat said:
Steve,
On a relatively small system (120g), you should only need to consider a kalk reactor or kalk drip if your Ca reactor cannot keep up with the Ca & alk. Some people also add kalk for the PH swing in a small system.

so if you raise you bubble count that will raise you alk?

Hitsnorth

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I dont think you just want to raise your bubble count without raiseing your drip rate. You dont want you PH to go too low otherwise your media turns to mush. If you want more alk you should raise both your bubble count and your drip rate. Keep your PH in your effluent stable. If you want your reactor to working harder(More calcium/alk) then raise the drip and the bubble to dissolve more media.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
What Eric said is true. Easiest way is to monitor your effluent with a PH monitor. What I originally meant was to check that your alk is high coming out of your reactor. Some people run it at 6.8 - 7.0 (dissolving less aragonite) and experience an overall lower alkalinity in their main tank.

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
pecan2phat said:
What Eric said is true. Easiest way is to monitor your effluent with a PH monitor. What I originally meant was to check that your alk is high coming out of your reactor. Some people run it at 6.8 - 7.0 (dissolving less aragonite) and experience an overall lower alkalinity in their main tank.

i run my effluent around 6.4 - 6.45 and have about 2-3 drips per second. this doesnt seem to maintain my levels... i must be doing something wrong.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: