Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I just went to a local beach and no exaggeration, there were millions of snails. So many people did not want to go in the water. Is this a good or bad sign?

Also, I have to ask... Would these do well in a reef tank? Didn't take any but I am sure they will be there next time...

Beaun

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing it was on the bay/sound side of the beach. They arn't a sign of anything bad, but their numbers will fluctuate according to the tide and availability of food. As far as being in a reef tank, they really wouldn't survive very long at those temperatures.

However, I have kept local hermits, the small ones (Pagurus longicarpus) not the large ones (Pagurus pollicaris), in my mixed reef with no problems. They are very good at keeping your sand bed clean and picking up any and all food that hits the ground.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I was at a New Rochelle beach. Maybe I will go back tomorrow and get some. also saw thousands of small shrimp and pods.

Look just like this if I remember correctly...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i10.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/35/a5/4017_1.JPG&imgrefurl=http://cgi.cafr.ebay.ca/50-live-saltwater-SNAILS-WITH-A-SNOUT-aquarium-filter_W0QQitemZ200373316762QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0%3Fhash%3Ditem2ea72e2c9a%26_trksid%3Dp3286.c0.m14&usg=__BkaLUS4lQm7zegVQhLKx-yxXRU0=&h=294&w=368&sz=40&hl=en&start=8&um=1&tbnid=rnDzCSRerWLVRM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=122&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsaltwater%2Bsnails%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Growing up on eastchester bay, I have to say the water is much nicer now than it was in the 80's and 90's. Seeing all the snails and hermit crabs I think is a great thing.

Last edited:

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
They are Mud Snails (Ilyanassa obsoletus). They handle warm temps just fine. They pretty much serve the same purpose as nassarius snails.

As always, be careful adding local fish and inverts to your reef / tropical tank. You can end up with an infestation of parasites or disease.

Beaun

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had both periwinkles and mud snails in my temperate system, but didn't keep them for my mixed reef when I switched. I figured they would be reef safe, didn't think they could handle the temp for very long. Good to know that they can.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Mud snails will live for years in a reef system...they are well adapted to really warm conditions at the tide line...in a tank some will cover the glass...the rest burrow in the sand, and pop out as soon as food gets into the tank. Periwinkles do not do well. They are intertidal, and will spend all their time above the water line, at least during the daytime. They do not last long, and I haven't found them effective at algae control.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: