• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
i have the 29g biocube and its starting to look real nice now but my oceanic skimmer i have for it is really not doing it for me. i messed with it so much and it either does not full at all or fills too much and does not take out anything. i messed with the air pump alot and the airline valve, and im using the stock pump that came with the skimmer. i have tried the current usa fussion or whatever and hated it as well. anything else out there that you guys reccomend? price not an option, i want the best. give me as many options that would fit so i can look them all up. thanks guys

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
hey that skimmer looks AWESOME. soo many microbubbles it produces. id be interested in it, but sadly that looks way to big :(. i dont know how what would fit on a biocube :sigh:

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
well i notice people saying to get the larger skimmer and put it in the middle section. then there would be no other form of filtration? right now i have the first section consisting of my heater, oceanic skimmer, and the oceanic media tray. second section i have the black top peice empty so water can flow faster through it, then under it is a bag of ROWAphos, two large chemi-pure elites, then a bunch of those bioballs with carbon, sponge, and phosphate remover inside each bioball. then once it goes through there, there is that other little sponge then the pump going into my oceanic UV sterilizer then into the tank.

now if i remove the whole middle section just for a skimmer isent that going to get rid of majority of my bio-load? or should basing a 29g biocube off a really good skimmer good enough to maintain the whole tank steadly?

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I had the BC skimmer for a while that worked well, but i'm starting to get more into SPS so I wanted something more substantial. I bought the aquaticlife internal mini protein skimmer 115 and so far I like it. Its been set up for a week and its starting to pull out some skimmate and was told it will take about 2-3 weeks to get dialed in just right. It may be a little early but I've posted about the skimmer on nanoreefs.com and people showed pictures of thick dark skimmate being pulled out after a few weeks. With a few easy mods it fits perfectly in the 1st chamber. I heard the tunze was good but I wanted to keep my middle chamber full of chaeto. 3rd chamber has the heater and chemipure elite.

Mods:

I completely gutted all shelves from the 1st and second chambers. Cut down the baffle between chambers 1 and 2 to all for more flow and lower the water level a little in chamber 1. I made a little platform out of egg crate to sit the skimmer on in chamber 1 and it is good to go!

If you would like to see what I did I can post some pics for you.

Last edited:

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I had the BC skimmer for a while that worked well, but i'm starting to get more into SPS so I wanted something more substantial. I bought the aquaticlife internal mini protein skimmer 115 and so far I like it. Its been set up for a week and its starting to pull out some skimmate and was told it will take about 2-3 weeks to get dialed in just right. With a few easy mods it fits perfectly in the 1st chamber. I heard the tunze was good but I wanted to keep my middle chamber full of chaeto. 3rd chamber has the heater and chemipure elite.

Mods:

I completely gutted all shelves from the 1st and second chambers. Cut down the baffle between chambers 1 and 2 to all for more flow and lower the water level a little in chamber 1. I made a little platform out of egg crate to sit the skimmer on in chamber 1 and it is good to go!

If you would like to see what I did I can post some pics for you.

please do! i would like to see and maybe steal some of your ideas:scratch:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking into this too. I found this one by CPR Aquatic.
http://www.cprusa.com/products/skimmers.html

Its the SR3 Protein Skimmer. Anyone have any experience with this one?

I have the SR3 in my biocube 29. Works great. I would recommend putting a pad underneath it and another one against one of the walls to lower vibration noise. It works quite well and fully fits into chamber 2 without modification.

I tried the biocube skimmer before getting this one theres a huge difference. The SR3 is far better at extracting waste. No regrets on this one.

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
ok the picutures are from chamber 1 to 3:

Attachments

• DSC01418.jpg
    DSC01418.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 443
  • DSC01419.jpg
    DSC01419.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 443
  • DSC01421.jpg
    DSC01421.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 440
  • DSC01420.jpg
    DSC01420.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 444
  • DSC01423.jpg
    DSC01423.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 441
  • DSC01422.jpg
    DSC01422.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 442

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: