• New Schooler/Awesome Lighting

Votes: 27 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

greggnyce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I guess if a there were a energy effecient equivalent to LED lighting we could have a fair comparsion. Because, not everyone chooses LED for the colors. I choose them to cut my lighting cost in half. However, retailers that use atinics only, get annoying. I like to see corals under natural lighting. I can see them under atinics at home for the first and last hour my tank is lit.

Last edited:
At full power it is VERY yellow/green--totally unusable for a reef aesthetically. When you dim it it becomes bluer, but why pay for a light you can't use at full power?

Currently, these are great alternatives for large FW planted tanks. Reefs not yet.

Hmm ok, looked nice in the video but haven't seen it in person so I wouldn't know. Isn't that always the case, especially when buying frags, look nice online and completely different at home. Maybe in a couple months they'll find a way to make them usable for reefs, they seeem like a good alternative in the energy perspective of it. I guess for now they can just use them to make new street lights and save some energy there, maybe taxes will go down a little no hopes there though lol

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
incandescent... fluorescent...VHO's...T-5...T5HO...Metal Halide...Power Compacts... LEDs...Plasma... :scratchch

thats it! Tomorrow im cutting a hole in my ceiling and letting good old fasion Mr. Sun do the job! ill put some glass on the hole in the ceiling and tint it blue and ill be good to go! :lol2:

UnknownWaters

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Reef Greek

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LMAO,
But seriously there is a company that makes round skylights which generate an incredible amount of light. They're about 10" round and the first time I was in a room with one I went to shut the lights only to find out it was the skylight and not the electric co. 2 of these over a 4-6' tank could generate a serious amount of full spectrum light with none of the added heat usually associated with direct sunlight while giving the tank that shimmer effect.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: