ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
well im a few days away from finally setting my new tank, but now i ran into an issue. i got a custom acrylic tank made for me so i can use it for my sump. 24x9x18. i got it made because there is only 9 inches width under my tank for play. its a 46 bow. so i got the sump, perfect! now the issue is that i got a bubble magus nac 7 skimmer in there. VERY tight fit. might be too tight. the inlet for the pump where the water enters the skimmer has to be maybe 1/4 inch, if that, from touching the front wall of the sump! thats not good. i have a feeling its not going to get the correct amount of flow entering the skimmer and have a restriction since the wall is so close. i dont know how strong the stock pumps are because who knows, maybe its so close that its going to end up pulling its self against the wall, not allowing the skimmer pump to reach water and burn out! cant have that. so right now im kinda going aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...... crap. i cant turn it side ways because the water outlet tube would be in the way and too wide. the outline of the sump has an acrylic outline shelf kinda thing and that would be in the way to turn it.

my two ideas i had was say screw it and cut that inline wall on the sump to try to make it fit. OR another idea which would be a pain in the a$$ but would be cool and could work would be to cut the front wall of the sump (since its only acrylic) where the inlet of the skimmer pump is, make a small acrylic box and silicone it where i cut the hole, and hope for the best. i figure that way i could extend that small part a good 2 inches out so that water can enter the pump freely.

i wanted to know what you guys though or if you had any better ideas? sure would help. dont really know what i should do. i am right thought right? there is no way water is going to enter correctly this way right?

here is a pic showing the front of the sump and how close the skimmer is...
5fc336ba.jpg

this pic shows a down view of how close the skimmer is to the wall...
a7ba8343.jpg

this pic shows that inline shelf they made inside the sump that i would have to cut if i did my first option...
f101e36d.jpg

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Why not take off the blue piece that has the air line coming out of it and replace it with a pvc piece tghat makes a 90 degree angle and redrill the hole for the air line?

Kind of like what was done here when he did the mod - but skip the mod part :)
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/general-discussion/79074-mod-bubble-magus-nac7-cone-skimmer.html

i was thinking about doing that, but then i dont know how i would set up the airline tube. i dont know if just drilling a hole into the pipe and shoving the tube into it would work the same. because if i can make a new airline hole that may just work

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
You need to change it because water won't flow freely enough into the opening to have the skimmer work efficiently. And the nozzle is custom made for the air inlet to work properly. Adding a 90 after the nozzle would work but anything else would be killing the design.

Sucks to say but you need to give that nozzle more room. Get your dremel out =(

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
You need to change it because water won't flow freely enough into the opening to have the skimmer work efficiently. And the nozzle is custom made for the air inlet to work properly. Adding a 90 after the nozzle would work but anything else would be killing the design.

Sucks to say but you need to give that nozzle more room. Get your dremel out =(

i knew i had that coming lol. thanks for your honesty. ill re look at it and figure this out i guess...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: