ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
ok well i started setting up my new tank today and half filled it, but ran out of RO water so i have to make more. i taking pictures because im ready to post my tank thread on it because its going to be awesome. my problem is i noticed the center support bar on top of the tank it DIRECTLY under my 250w metal halide bulb. maybe 2 inches from it. not only do i think its going to melt or burn, but it is leaving a GIANT mark of my light in my tank. now i dont know if its looking like that because its only 3/4 filled, but i do not like it at all. if it does away after its filled then ok, but im very scared the bar is going to burn. its DIRECTLY under the center of the MH bulb. is it safe to cut it? my old 55g tank did not have it, and it bowed a tiny bit but held fine for 7 years when i had a freshwater tank. my buddies 45g is missing the bar because he put a marineland biowheel 400 on it and it did not fit because of the bar. so, how safe would it be to cut it? my tank is a 46 bow.

c2c2aaf1.jpg

0ff4cb08.jpg

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It's not safe to cut or remove the middle brace. There is a good chance the tank will break without it. You're going to need to either put the light in a different area, go with 2 Mh or use different lights, like T-5's or LED. You could also put in a glass brace, so you wouldn't get the shadow from the light.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I would not cut it. They wouldn't have included it if it wasn't needed. Your tank *might* be fine without the bar, but having that bar helps prevent the glass from bowing too much and therefore crack or leak, especially on a bow front

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
ok, now say i cut it and did the whole glass or acrylic bar, could i just cut it and either silicone or use some strong epoxy on it and place it in the center and cut it so it bows in the front to outline it? or put two of the like 1 1/2 space in the middle? i like that idea if that would work

its so low because origionally i was going to hang the light, but i ended up special ordering a matching oceanic stainless steel canopy and i mounted the light right to the canopy, but the canopy is not that high. i was thinking about just taking the top off and still hanging it and that would give me 5-7 inches. i just remeasured it and there is 3.5 inches between the glass cover of the mh bulb to the bar.

also thanks alot guys for the speedy responces! i can always count on you guys!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
ok, now say i cut it and did the whole glass or acrylic bar, could i just cut it and either silicone or use some strong epoxy on it and place it in the center and cut it so it bows in the front to outline it? or put two of the like 1 1/2 space in the middle? i like that idea if that would work

its so low because origionally i was going to hang the light, but i ended up special ordering a matching oceanic stainless steel canopy and i mounted the light right to the canopy, but the canopy is not that high. i was thinking about just taking the top off and still hanging it and that would give me 5-7 inches. i just remeasured it and there is 3.5 inches between the glass cover of the mh bulb to the bar.

also thanks alot guys for the speedy responces! i can always count on you guys!

No - the added brace would have to be screwed in place - you CANNOT silicone or epoxy it. You will take a chance cracking the entire top frame doing this as well.
If you've never seen a tank with a cracked brace, you are lucky - it is one scary sight when the front pane bows forward. With a bow front tank, you are especially living on the edge.
I suggest different lighting arrangements :)

Any chance of raising the canopy a little more? A second bulb would really help the shadow situation.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Well right now its a 4 bulb t5 and 1 250w mh and a icecap led strip. Brand new. id hate to alter it or get a new one already. What would you say is a safe distance away from the bar?

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
hey y dont u just cut a hole in the top of the hood to mount the mh (thus raising it how u like), or u could put reflectors on the insides of the hood and have them focusing at the middle.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: