ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
well, a few people were asking awhile back on how i make my food, so i decided yesterday while i was making it to snap some pictures and show step by step on how i do it. its pretty much just mixing a bunch of types of foods/vitamins together to have a nice mixture for your fish. for some of you, im sure you already know how to do this, but some of the newer people might like it. so, here we go...

this is my reef tank mix that i make for my reef tank...

things i used to make it...

egg crate
plexi glass, or some sort of smooth thick sheet. plastic, ect.
super glue
fish food
vitamins
a very fine net
a mixing bowl or container.
another wide bowl
RO water
maybe a flat head
some hungry fish
and thats about it...

first thing i did was take that white crate stuff, egg crate or whatever, and super glued it to a peice of acrylic. i used IC gel to glue it so i could take my time dabbing each spot i wanted to glue, which was the whole backside of the egg crate, and it would not dry until i pressed down and soaked it in water. then let it sit for a bit until it has dried.

IMAG0717.jpg

then, one you do that, you now have to figure out what food you want to use. i was making food for my reef tank, so i used smaller shrimps since none of my reef fish are large. my list of food i picked up was...

hikari krill
hikari spurlina brine shrimp
hikari mysis
hikari jumbo mysis
hikari large plankton
san fransisco bay reef plankton
san fransisco bay rotifers
san fransisco bay brine + (omega fatty acid)
san fransisco bay spurlina baby brine
san fransisco bay Reef Multi-Pack (clam, squid, sponge, nori)
kent marine c
kent zoe
kent zoecon (groth stimulator)
kent MAXX phytoplankton
kent Zooplex
coral frenzy
Vita chem
Seaweed or nori

IMAG0716.jpg

you obviously dont need to use all of that, but i do. usually from DR. foster smith because they have good shipping sales for frozen alot of the time and there frozen food starts at around 2 bucks.
for my aggressive tank, i use more of a fish marketplace instead of frozen food. raw shrimp, scallops, clams, mussles, fish, squid, ect... i just throw it on a cutting board and cut the food up into nice size peices that my fish could eat.

then i pop all of the cubes out, except the krill, into a container and soak them in RO water. this takes awhile to break down because the RO water is not warm, so it takes some time, but after 10 minutes or so i start to mix it and they begin to break apart...

IMAG0718.jpg

the krill by hikari is kind of large, so i soak the krill seprate and cut them up with sissors into small peices. usually ocean neutrition sells krill and they are smaller peices of krill, almost perfect size, but drfostersmith was out of stock.

IMAG0719.jpg

i also do this with the seaweed and/or nori. usually you can just rip it up with your hands, but i chop the seaweed up into small peices.

then its time to get messy. pour all of the food into the fine net, with the krill as well. if its not a fine net, half your food, like the plankton, rotifers, ect. you will lose. then i rinse it under some water or RO water. i do this until the color of the water under the net is clear, then do it for another minute or so after that.

IMAG0720.jpg

keep squeezing the net as well. feels nasty and smells nasty but deal with it lol. then give it one final good squeeze. try and get most of the water out. if you did it right the food should ball up. once it balls up throw it back into a container.

IMAG0721.jpg

once its in the container, this is when i add all my liquid foods/vitamins/seaweed ect... dont use too much though because you dont want it back to being able to drain it again and soaked, you want just the right mixture of it all so that its almost in the gel form. i also add some more RO water.

IMAG0722.jpg

next you take your egg crate and back peice you glued and lay it flat down and pour your food into each square. push it down good so each cube is even. if you do it quickly some of the squares will have not a good mixture in each square or it will be uneven.

IMAG0723.jpg

then once it is even, i pretty much wrap it up in a bag so it does not get freezer burned or smelly. once its wrapped it, the next day or so your food should be frozen.

IMAG0724.jpg

then, take it out, flip it upside down over a wide bowl, and bang them out. if they dont come up, you can give it a few minutes to defrost and then try to knock them out. if they still will not come out, use a flat head to pop them out.

IMAG0726.jpg

after you pop them out, throw them in a zip lock bag, throw them in the freezer to freeze up again since it probably took 5 or so minutes to get them out of the egg crate, and then your ready to feed!

IMAG0727.jpg

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Also, just to add... if you do not have something flat or egg crate, just put it in a bag and flatten it out and you can just break peices off. Or get an ice tray. That's an easy way too

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
166   0   0
wow i cant believe i missed this yesterday! very cool im going to try this this week.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
THanks guys. I do use liquid foods at times by bright well and Kent. I have been doing it for months and never had a problem. my fish are fat as all can be. Or you can defrost the food in the liquid.

ANd yes, and easy way to do this as well is when its in gel form, throw it in a zip lock and flatten it out. JUst make sure its covered how ever you do. I know its bad if you leave it open and could get freezer burn.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Decent write up.

A couple of hints.
Don't glue your egg crate down. If it's loose, you can easily pop the cubes out from one side.

The blender is your friend. Throw all that stuff in the blender and pulse it a few times. You can add any other seafood you want. I usually buy what's on sale. Shrimp, squid, muscles, clams. Whatever is cheap.

I have added selcon and kent garlic to my foods with success. Go for it.

B

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
interesting idea...

what are the benefits of this concoction? and how much does this usually run you?

well all i ever read is varity is key for feeding. having a good healthy/mixed diet will help picky eaters become happy, fatten fish up, and become hardier. and feeds my fish and corals at the same time.

for price i usually go through drfostersmithaquatics.com because there cubes sell for around 2.49 each. OR they have this mix & match 6 special where if you get 6 or more of the sheets that are 16oz, they are only 5.99! thats alot of food for 36 bucks. thats 96 oz of food! to me, i dont use the mix and match that much because i only have a 46g and a 29g bio cube, that makes so much food that the one time i did it, it lasted me over 2-3 months, and i only used a fraction of it. i ended up throwing it out because it lasted me too long and was not sure if it could go bad or not. so you figure if you get 10 packs of different cubes, thats about 20 bucks, and if you are on their mailing list, they have deals for free overnight shipping every now and then. at least once a month. thats all i need. so for 20 bucks. it lasts me about 1-2 months, and it is much healthier with a great varity.

also, most cubes at a lfs is what? over 5 bucks a pop? thats 10 packs of cubes for 50+ dollars, or 20 bucks online. or 36 if you want the big 16oz sheets. thats why i stick to drfostersmith.com

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Decent write up.

A couple of hints.
Don't glue your egg crate down. If it's loose, you can easily pop the cubes out from one side.

The blender is your friend. Throw all that stuff in the blender and pulse it a few times. You can add any other seafood you want. I usually buy what's on sale. Shrimp, squid, muscles, clams. Whatever is cheap.

I have added selcon and kent garlic to my foods with success. Go for it.

B

thanks you for the ideas!

the issue i had without glueing the crate down was when i poured the food into the sections, it went underneath the crate and spilt off the sides in my freezer and did not freeze fast enough. thats why im thinking a small ice cube tray next time. or ill just go to wal mart or something and find something else that could work.

and the blender idea is good, as long as i clean that out good. im sure my girlfriend would kick my ass if she made some frozen drinks for her friends and it tasted fishy lol. i ended up doing the knife just because i know every peice is cut just the right size. if i throw raw shrimp in the blender, and its not cut enough, or too much, my trigger wont eat it. picky lil jurk lol. maybe next batch i make up next month or so for my reef tank ill give it a shot. thanks!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: