masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Hi griM,
I run T-5's. I keep a totally mixed reef. I have softies, LPS and SPS under my T-5's.

The most important things to know about T-5's are that the bulbs must be HO and the reflectors MUST BE individual (1 for each bulb), highly polished and parabolic. These features are what gives the T-5's the high efficiency you hear so much about.

I use the Sunlight Supply TEK light. Any of their TEK fixtures are plug and play and all are quality. There are other manufacturers that are said to be just as good, but I can't speak from experience about them.

There are a couple of places to get them online. Here are a couple of links to them:

Premium Aquatics (they will match any online vendors pricing):
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...oduct_Code=SL-960040&Category_Code=SunlightT5

ReefGeek:
http://reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/104193.html

Without you telling me anything about your setup it's impossible for me to make a recommendation about which fixture would be appropriate for you. I just linked you to 48" x 6 bulb units. They come in 24" and 36" as well.

One of the reasons T-5's are so efficient (in addition to the reflector), is that they are so thin. The standard flourescent bulb is 8/8" = 1". These are called T8. Then you have T12's which are 12/8 = 1.5" And then there are the T-5's which are 5/8 = 5/8". With a bulb this small in diameter you are able to fit more bulbs in the same space as a larger diameter bulb.

HTH. If you have any other Q's, just ask away.

Russ

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Check out Seedsetc.com

I purchased my TEK T5 from them. The price were definately competative and they shipped it immediately.

I bought the Tek T5 4bulb-36inch for my 58 gal reef. I find the light seems just as bright as the single 250W MH I had. Definately a lot less heat, and a lower profile then what I had before.

here is the list/specs from seedsetc:

AQUARIUM TEK LIGHT T5 LIGHTING FIXTURES (Color:Black) by Sunlight Supply
Features:

Ultra efficient, high output T-5 lamps
95% reflective aluminum inserts that increase output by over 300%
Durable powder-coat finish
Comes with two fully enclosed Triad T5 electronic ballasts
2, 4, 6, & 8 lamp configurations
Two switches and 2 8ft power-cords allowing for dawn and dusk control (on 4, 6, 8 lamp models only)
Cool operation and NO noise
Complete line of German & domestic T-5 HO lamps available
Optional easy to use adjustable cable hanging system
Sleek profile only 2.5 inches high
Convection vent allows maximum air flow
Fixtures are priced without lamps
The Aquarium Tek Light T5 comes in the following sizes:

960005-Aquarium Tek Light T5 24"-24watt 4 lamps-Dimensions: 23"Lx12"Wx2.5"H
960015 Aquarium Tek Light T5 36"-39watt 4 lamps-Dimensions: 35"Lx12"Wx2.5"H
960020 Aquarium Tek Light T5 36"-39watt 6 lamps-Dimensions: 35"Lx15"Wx2.5"H
960035 Aquarium Tek Light T5 48"-54watt 4 lamps-Dimensions: 47"Lx12"Wx2.5"H
960040 Aquarium Tek Light T5 48"-54watt 6 lamps-Dimensions: 47"Lx15"Wx2.5"H
960045 Aquarium Tek Light T5 48"-54watt 8 lamps-Dimensions: 47"Lx19"Wx2.5"H

The same light as linked to on the above post is priced at $290.95 at seedsetc.com
Rich

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
spykes said:
the problem with T-5s for SPS is the color fades under T-5s. the spectrum isnt as intense as the MH to give off the color, but it does have really good par.

Colors will fade with MH also, if you use a 6500K bulb. Same thing goes for T-5's, if you use bulbs with more blue in the spectrum coral will hold more of its coloration, but you'll sacrifice growth. There are a decent amount of bulbs available now to balance color and growth with T-5's.

master

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
heh i went to pecan2phat's house and lemme say both his tank shares the same water, corals between the t-5 tank and the MH tank is dramatically diffrent, the colors in the MH tank is insane, and the t-5 colors are washed out in a washing machine.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
spykes said:
heh i went to pecan2phat's house and lemme say both his tank shares the same water, corals between the t-5 tank and the MH tank is dramatically diffrent, the colors in the MH tank is insane, and the t-5 colors are washed out in a washing machine.

You still haven't offered any proof that T-5's are any less efficient at maintaining coral coloration with that anecdote. What bulb combination did pecan2phat have over each of his tanks? If he had a 20k MH bulb over one tank and the T-5 bulbs were all 6500k or 10000k then there is no doubt that the T-5's would look washed out.

Let me direct your attention to ReefCentrals TOTM, March, 2005:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/totm/index.php

In case you didn't want to click the link, here's just one photo from it. BTW, in case you were interested, it is a T-5 lit only tank.

Attachments

• reefcaves.jpg
    reefcaves.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 530

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
As spykes said, I am conducting my own little experiment with T5s.
I plumbed inline a 102g tank to my existing 120g SPS tank. Same water parameters, only difference is the lighting utilized and Streams vs my Dart/OM closed loop for supplemental circulation.

Here's what I see so far:
LPS, ricordias & yumas definitely do well under T5 lighting. When they were in the 120g with dual 250 watt XM SE 10,000k MHs on Ice Caps and two 110w URI VHO actinics also on an Ice Cap, they were actually overlit to a degree. With the T5s, they are expanded more and the colors are there.
I moved over 5 clams to the T5 lighting and they are holding their own.
SPS are definitely faded, not browned out but just faded. I actually have about 3 or 4 of the same corals in both tank and you can see the difference.

I use a 6-bulb 36" Tek light over a tank that measures 39.5"L x 25"W x 24"H. My bulb choices were to gain as much growth lighting as possible without sacrificing some balanced look so I run from front to back: Actinic+, GE 6500K, Pure Actinic, Aquablue+ (11,000K bulb), GE 6500K and Actinic+

My SPS corals are mounted up between half and three quarters up and the clams are on the bottom.

So in my experience so far, the T5s will do extremely well for everything but SPS corals. Might be different if you had a 48" (54w), 8-bulb configuration. Don't know but might possibly give you that extra kick to run colorful SPS corals.

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Russ click on the 100 other TOTM on RC :D Most run MH's
Just because something is done successfully doesn't mean its the best way to be done i.e. skimmerless SPS tanks....

Warren maybe you should try rewiring the T5's with an IC ballast. MSHUR changed his T5's to IC ballast and its like 30% brighter. Borow one from Pierce, I'm sure he has like 10 laying around. :D

griMReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
masterswimmer said:
You still haven't offered any proof that T-5's are any less efficient at maintaining coral coloration with that anecdote. What bulb combination did pecan2phat have over each of his tanks? If he had a 20k MH bulb over one tank and the T-5 bulbs were all 6500k or 10000k then there is no doubt that the T-5's would look washed out.

Let me direct your attention to ReefCentrals TOTM, March, 2005:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/totm/index.php

In case you didn't want to click the link, here's just one photo from it. BTW, in case you were interested, it is a T-5 lit only tank.

WOW T5!!!

TANKS! :)))))))))

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Rich,
My whole agenda was to get another tank up and running with minimal electrical use.
Right now, that 102g tank only draws 236 watts for lighting for about 8 hours and two 15 watt max Tunzes that are cycling between 30% and 100% 24/7. Everything else is tapped off the 120g including the moon lights :D:

So I figure that this tank cost me about $30 or less a month in electricity use.

If I swap out the ballast to Ice Caps, I might as well run some 175W MHs. Also the ICs need to be wired externally since they are bigger and won't fit back into the Tek light.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
jackson6745 said:
Warren maybe you should try rewiring the T5's with an IC ballast. MSHUR changed his T5's to IC ballast and its like 30% brighter. Borow one from Pierce, I'm sure he has like 10 laying around. :D

Screw the florescent lighting! I have a few spare 250W DE's we can slap on that nice tank to get the corals to color up:).

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Rich,
you can LMAO, but you know........... it's true!

On MSHUR's T5s, if he's running 54 watters, the IC ballast will burn those bulbs at 80 watts.
Those ICs will push his bulbs about 48%, I doubt if he'll get more than 10 months out of the bulbs at that burn rate.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: