Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Yes there is, I have been collecting all my life, and I'm old. I do have a boat so I have access to more places and now that the beaches opened it is even more limited.
You can go to Fort Totten at low tide at the rock jetty and collect but it is not the best place. If it was last week, before the beaches opened you could go to Bar beach in North Hempstead but you have to be a resident. I go to this tidepool but I go by boat. You can walk there but there is no place to park with in about a mile but someone could drop you off there. I think it's Shore Road that is the road that goes to Louie's Restaurant in Port Washington. It is across the street from a lake that you pass if you take Plandome Road there. You can see the road here behind me on that small overpass. When you see the lake, get out of the car, walk down to the tidepool but it must be just before absolute low tide of the water will be 8' deep. Last week I asked if anyone wanted to go with me there by boat, but no one responded. I can only go on weekdays and there are very few times when it is low tide on a week day morning when I can go so it only happens a few times a year.

Video of some amphipods.

5 gallons of amphipods

beastium

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Very cool. it would be awesome to go out on the boat one day.

I actually went to west neck beach today and collected some mussels and nassarius snails. Not sure if they would survive but I put them in my tank. The coolest thing was the barnacle that's on one of the mussels. Do I need to put the mussels near the top so they can get some 'air time' when I do water changes and the water level drops? Are they demanding in terms of calcium? If it wont work out I am going to steam them

Couldn't really find some amphipods.. any advice how to get some? I think I will try louie's next. i ate there once.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The muscle will not live long but the mud snails will. Any hermit crabs you find will also not live long. The barnacles will live a couple of weeks as they are filter feeders and unless your tank is really filthy, they, along with the muscle will starve.
To collect amphipods go to a muddy beach at dead low tide. Find large rocks just out of the water and lift them. The bottom of most rocks are covered in amphipods so you swirl the rocks in a bucket of seawater. If the rock is stuck in the mud it will have no life under it as it will stink from hydrogen sulfide. I have been collecting amphipods for about 40 years.
My tank was started with water from there.
b-ridge, do you see that 5 gallon bucket of amphipods? I dump that in my tank a couple of times a year. My tank is 43 years old. I am not sure if that answers your question.

My boat is right near Louie's

beastium

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I got the mussels and nassarius at this little super clear stream behind the shore, like a moat for lack of a better word. I know there's a name for this type of body of water. Mini estuary?
mapunazy.jpg

Took this shot knee deep in the middle of it. To the right is the beach.
e4apumat.jpg

Above, mussels and barnacle.

Last edited:

beastium

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
@b-ridge That would be cool if I'd lived near a reef. I always wanted to bring a 10g tank and start a tank on the spot somewhere.

How about north Glen cove, near dosoris pond? Looks like it would be a good pod spot

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Just google Tide Tables. I have the web site but not on this computer. When I go to the tide pool I usually put it on here but no one ever wants to go. I can only go during the week as the boat is booked up on weekends all summer. The next time I go , I will let you know. My wife has been in the hospital since thursday and will be operated on tuesday so I will see what happens after that.
Beastium it is not illegal to collect those corals in New York as you won't find any of them here. The only corals that grow here are a sickly looking white, soft coral and a very thin gorgonian looking thing that will die on the boatride back to shore. I have been diving here since 1971 and there is not much in the line of invertabrates that you can use from here besides some crabs and mud snails. We do have some large anemones which are very common if you know where to look, but those are cold water animals and also don't live long at all.
That is Leeds Pond that I was talking about. I spend most of my time anchored right off there.
This is Leeds Pond behind me (it's behind the trees so you can't see it)

I am anchored right off that tide pool here. It is off the picture to the left.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I live in glen cove right on the water near the middle school. Iv always wanted to collect pods from the water during low tide but I'm afraid to add anything that might piss off my tank. how could I tell what's safe to collect?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: