Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
After not having a tank for a while, I decided to set up a little nano. This tank will be for our daughter ( now 7 months old) who seems to have a fascination with fish whenever we visit the pet stores.

Tank Details
Fluval Spec v - 5.5 gallons
Marineland 50 watt heater
10 pounds live sand
1 piece live rock - to seed dry rock
6 pounds dry rock

Lighting
Current Orbit Reef - 18"

Modifications
Drilled 1st chamber rear wall to accommodate second pump for extra flow
Sealed off opening in bottom of back wall
Sealed off opening between rear chamber walls
Used eggcrate to modify filtration chamber - Running chemipure elite, a piece of live rock, piece of stock sponge and filter floss
Block off bottom of overflow grate to raise water level and allow better surface skimming

Livestock
None at the moment

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,859
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,435
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,485

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Tank has cycled. Added some macro algae that I got from a trade and a clown fish. No more additions for a while.

So far loving it. Excuse the purple stuff on the rocks. I went overboard with attaching the rocks together. Hopefully over time it blends in.
gabetyzy.jpg
e4asaje3.jpg
mupe6emy.jpg
5epanudu.jpg
egavude6.jpg

Last edited:

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
It's an 18 watt current orbit reef light. According to specs you get about 100 par about 10 inches from light so for my tank I think that's plenty.

What's cool about it is that it comes with a remote that you can use to adjust the whites and blues manually if you want to, you can turn on any of the 4 weather patterns etc.

There are 4 light cycles pre programmed that you can modify to your needs. I just modified the 1st cycle. Don't need the others. Although it can come in handy of you want to acclimate fish or corals.

I am running the blues at 100% and whites at 70%.

For my tank I love it so far. Not planning on SPS so I think I'll be fine. It is very sleek and let's me keep the stock look of the tank.

Here is a link to it.

http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/orbit-marine/

Last edited:

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Lol. Funny you say that. When we first did that rock my wife said it looked like a dog. Then when we got the Xenia, she said let's put it on top so it looks like a patch of fur.

Thanks. I'm loving this tank. Can't wait to stock it with more corals.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: