Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Your tank still looks great..really colorful.

Someone was recommending to me to somehow mod my stock filter with chaeto algae. I haven't looked into it yet but I would imagine it would be great for nitrates and phosphates.

BTW, how many watts is that light?

Edge

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Thanks MFChop and edge2011

I was thinking of modifying the filter to a mini fuge with chaeto but laziness got the better of me.
You can use the rio mini sun for light in that one.
Now i just put in chemi-pure elite inside the ac20 and some filter floss.

The light is 24watt 50/50 pc bulb.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Hey the tank seems to be doing better. The GSP is starting to open up already.
The acan kinda bounced back but one of the heads became smaller and seems to be recovering. I'm still puzzled as to what happened with it as the other acan was not affected.
Red slime is slowly going away. The chemipure must be doing what it should right now.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Here is a little mod I did for the edge since somebody gave me some chaeto and don't want it to be all over the tank.
There are other DIY in tank refugiums similar too this one using soap holders and that is what inspired me to do this.
This is a toothbrush holder with suction cups from the dollar store around the corner.
I thought this will be just the right size for the edge.
I drilled holes on the front sides and under to provide flow for this mini fuge.
P1100710.jpg
P1100711.jpg

Front view
I placed it right under the aquaclear hob filter lip to provide water flow for the mini fuge
P1100721.jpg

View from the top
P1100722.jpg

Under the top opening
P1100723.jpg

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Very nice mod. I may have to do the same thing..lol..
Maybe some type of cover for the soap dish so chaeto does not flow over? I never had experience with chaeto so this idea may be irrevelant.

So nice to have someone else with an Edge especially someone creative..lol

Keep the pics coming!!

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Now cover it in gsp!... lol Come over today for some. Havent had time to cut it up. Bring flat plugs if you can.
Hey D Now that is an idea. I may have some left over acrylic to act as an elevated cover so the holes wont get clogged up by the GSP.
Sorry wasn't able to drop by today. I'll contact you later.

Very nice mod. I may have to do the same thing..lol..
Maybe some type of cover for the soap dish so chaeto does not flow over? I never had experience with chaeto so this idea may be irrevelant.

So nice to have someone else with an Edge especially someone creative..lol

Keep the pics coming!!
Thanks edge.
Cover is optional. The lip of the mini fuge is elevated above the water line so there is no spill over.
I was initially thinking of having a mini fuge lower portion to hold the chaeto and frag holder to cover the chaeto but that will be too much work.:tired:
Maybe in another time if I can find a more suitable larger container.

Great pics! You obviously thought thru everything and planned this out well. Almost makes me wanna try one. All the mods are very cool too. Hope all continues to go well.
Thanks.:)
When you don't want the easy way out/buy ready made stuff(oftentimes more expensive), one is forced to seek out cheaper alternatives in this money pit hobby.:happysad:

Last edited:

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
MFchop Thanks.
That was actually the initial plan.
The AC20 is a bit small as I still want a chemi-pure elite bag in it.
An AC50 with modified media basket has more room but you have to cut off the tabs where the lamp attaches to make the AC50 fit in then a clip on led like the rio mini-sun over it.
Too complicated and will need to shell out more cash.
Then I stumbled upon those doing frag racks and hold chaeto in tank using a soapdish/shampoo holder and thought that is an easier way to have chaeto in tank.
For only a buck now there is a refugium for the chaeto in tank.:lol2:
Not really too unsightly but i might take up dherrera's idea of having it covered with GSP for a more natural look.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: