Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Rhizobia bacteria colonize the roots of their preferred plant partner-like beans and peas. From their homes in the plant roots they take nitrogen from the air and convert it into ammonia, a form of nitrogen that plants can use. For this valuable service the legumes feed the bacteria a steady diet of plant sugars. Since you are doing hydroponics, so I guess the Rhizobia may not survive. I do plant rotation with peas and pepper, beans with tomatoes every year and so forth.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Rhizobia bacteria colonize the roots of their preferred plant partner-like beans and peas. From their homes in the plant roots they take nitrogen from the air and convert it into ammonia, a form of nitrogen that plants can use. For this valuable service the legumes feed the bacteria a steady diet of plant sugars. Since you are doing hydroponics, so I guess the Rhizobia may not survive. I do plant rotation with peas and pepper, beans with tomatoes every year and so forth.

I have an aquaponics system in my basement and beans grow like weeds in it, so I'm not too worried. :wink1:

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Update

I got a pallet of PA fieldstone this past weekend and have gotten a lot of it laid down around the edges of the pond. I also started stocking some plants. It's starting to look like a pond!

Still working on plumbing the waterfall and aquaponics bed. Haven't had as much time as I'd hoped lately.

Attachments

• 10561785_10152556250653654_2046484992331057168_n.jpg
    10561785_10152556250653654_2046484992331057168_n.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 142

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pond envy! Always wanted one but it never seemed to fit into our plans.

Speaking of holes dug by hand, I dug a five foot deep, 4x8 foot hole for a propane tank. Half way down, I had to shift it over a couple feet after hitting a boulder. At least it wasn't raining!

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
More progress

Here's a shot of the waterfall test. It's plumbed without glue in this shot, but now that I have it aligned, I can glue it up, build the rocks around it and I should have it looking good by the end of the weekend.

Attachments

• IMAG0176.jpg
    IMAG0176.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 119
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
looks great. Im not into ponds (yet) but what happens during the winter?..... I was researching cost of running one for electricity it came out to be 20 bucks a month. Which electricity could be an issue if you had to run a heater the whole winter :eek:

Asari

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! Tons of work, I imagine but BEAUTIFUL! Gonna try to talk my husband into making one in the garden. That would look wonderful between my vegetables and flower beds. Aye, he's got his tank and I got my garden - time to connect the two ;)

C

Cu455

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great. Did you run the pipes for the plumping under the ground? In the last picture you posted I see PVC going under the rocks. In one of the first pictures you posted you had a water pump there. Does that supply the water fall with the water?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: