beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
So after a lot of planning, and a lot more digging, I finally got water in the hole and made myself a pond! There's a ton of work left, but it's getting there. Tomorrow I'm hoping to add the aquaponics bed and waterfall, then there's a lot of rock work to do. The bees finally have a proper water bowl!

Attachments

• IMAG0132.jpg
    IMAG0132.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 376
  • IMAG0136.jpg
    IMAG0136.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 374
  • IMAG0139.jpg
    IMAG0139.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 362
  • IMAG0145.jpg
    IMAG0145.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 372
  • IMAG0146.jpg
    IMAG0146.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 367

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Wow that's awesome , how long to dig that hole! When I get my house I am gonna get a pond but refuse to pay someone , rather do it myself

It's 14'x9' and it took a long time to dig. I enlisted some help from friends, but if I were going to do it again, I'd consider renting a bobcat or at least grabbing some day laborers to get it done. It was a lot more work than I expected.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Nice! I've always wanted a pond. Are you going to put Kois inside? When I was in high school I had a 125g long with about 12 Kois inside. One of these days I hope to have a pond so I can keep them again.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Cool! I built a pond in back of my row home in Philly when I was in college. I completely leveled, terraced and scaped the back yard only to move not long after. Landlord probably made out like a bandit.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
County regulations are nutty that way, I would go for 4ft and use the fence to keep EVERYBODY out!!! However , please keep the pics coming , I am into do it yourself projects and this one is up my alley , great job and good luck with it looks like it's gonna be a wonderful pond.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
County regulations are nutty that way, I would go for 4ft and use the fence to keep EVERYBODY out!!! However , please keep the pics coming , I am into do it yourself projects and this one is up my alley , great job and good luck with it looks like it's gonna be a wonderful pond.

The problem with the fence is that it has to have really small spaces in between, and it would block the view of the pond from the rest of the yard, which would completely defeat the purpose.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Looking good! Did you happen to put any sort of carpet padding or lining underneath your pond liner? Not necessarily needed but I've done a ton of ponds and eventually with erosion and all you will have some rocks and earthy material poking thru that bad boy, no matter what millimeter it is. Sure you already know but a correctly sized uv is a must for clear water and bead filters are amazing for any large system especially ponds (IMO). Good luck with the rest of the build

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I used a 15'x20' underlayment that I bought specifically for the rocks and roots.

Since the aquaponics bed is basically going to be a 4'x2' filter, I'm not planning on an additional filter, but I may consider a UV filter down the line if I need one. This year I'm planning on planting peas and beans in the aquaponics bed, since it's late in the growing season. Next year it's going to be edible flowers.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: