Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Right now there is a fire at my marina. A guy filled his boat with gas and apparently didn't put on the blowers and the boat blew up. He died. He was a NYC cop. His friend jumped out and lived as did the kid on the dock. This is the second time this happened in about 15 years. I was there the time before.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Paul this is more common than you think. This happens several times in my area each season, and unfortunately happened to me in 1999 on a friends POS boat. Inboard gas engines can be dangerous. Fumes ground in the hull and you are dependent on the blower (which can fail) to save your life. On inboard gas engines it's always good to open the hatch and smell for fumes in the bilge before starting the engine. Sucks that this guy was killed trying to enjoy himself. :(

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I was pulling up to the gas dock the last time this happened. A large wooden boat exploded and flew about 50' in the air. I am not sure if the people lived as they were burned pretty bad. I am extreamly careful of this as I am a lisenced Captain and was trained on fueling procedures. I "always" open the engine compartment and stick my head down there. Then I smell the exhaust from the blowers. I have a flashing light that tells me the blowers are working.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/authorities-battling-manorhaven-marina-fire-1.9108552

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
That is a crazy story. And a sad day for him and his family.. Condolences to his fam. As a boater myself it's hard to hear these things happen especially when boating is such a great hobby. Just makes us aware of certain things.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: