rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Kbb (kelly blue book). Dont mention your trading in a car until after youve negotiated a price on the new car!!!! If they know you're trading in a car, they will give you a high trade in value and jack up the sale price to make the money back. Old dealer trick.

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Insurance companies use J.D. Power associate Mitchells for comparable vehicles on local market when they value your car. We use nada as a basis to set our reserves as it gives a pretty good estimate of the value.

I will check on Monday for you buddy for some values.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Check auto trader for what they are currently selling for and it's usually 50-60% unless yours is immaculate, etc.

I never go in thinking kbb or nada because they are going to pull the bullsh*t dealer black book. That's when I walk out because they won't give you fair deal.

jdino

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the sites will buy your car, and because you rate the car's condition yourself, they are never "realistic".

I've heard that line from more then one car dealer. Idk if rookie is in that business but it is a standard line they all use. My answer to that is doesn't that make kbb or nada non-biased or a neutral party?

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I never go in thinking kbb or nada because they are going to pull the bullsh*t dealer black book. That's when I walk out because they won't give you fair deal.
The 'fair deal' is based on the entire deal, not just the trade price. A dealer can give you 'way over' book value for your trade, and still end up 'overcharging' you on the final deal.
If you did your 'homework' you should be able to negotiate a 'fair deal' with most any 'reputable' dealer.

I've heard that line from more then one car dealer. Idk if rookie is in that business but it is a standard line they all use. My answer to that is doesn't that make kbb or nada non-biased or a neutral party?
Non-biased or not, used car pricing from books and online sources are usually based on information provided by dealers, manufacturers, and auctions...all of which have a 'vested' interest in the prices. I think that Rookie's point was that most people consider their car as 'perfect/like new/above average', when in fact, it is NOT! If you bought your car used, you may not even be aware of past accidents and body work, but a dealer will notice those problems and the price will go down.
The book/online pricing is only a GUIDE... they won't send you a check... Having the car appraised by a couple of new &/or used car dealers will give you an idea of what your car is actually worth.

Since most dealers will use Carfax or AutoCheck to see the history of a car, it's a good idea to know beforehand, what info is on there about your car.

For the record, I have personally bought and sold over 10,000 used cars and probably appraised more than 4 or 5 times that.

sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I use to sale cars and a dealer can offer you what they please for your car but they all (if not most) go by JDP not by KBB (which is higher) . Dealers LOVE trade ins and all try to give you what seems to be a fair deal for your car which makes the customer feel like they are doing you a favor. Don't be afraid to say no to whatever they offer you for your car. Remember though you want to buy they want to sale far more. A good salesman will ask you from the start what you think your car is worth and try to come close to that # or give u a **** load of reasons why it's not....it's why I say don't be afraid to say no to their offers....as a matter of fact respectfully over price your cars value.
And lastly whatever deal a dealer offers is NEVER the best deal. They can ALWAYS do better. Counter offer!!! It's the salemans job to take that offer back to his manager and make the numbers work. Not yours.

Good luck

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
you don't know what the best deal is until you're almost out of the door. you can find out the market value of your car by checking out what others are selling it for under the same conditions. trade-ins are usually 15-30% less.

Last edited:

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
If you did your 'homework' you should be able to negotiate a 'fair deal' with most any 'reputable' dealer.

the definition of 'fair deal' varies depending on which side of the table you're sitting on.
you want to pay the least amount whereas they want to make the most amount......no matter how good you think your negotiation skills are, theirs usually are better....

For the record, I have personally bought and sold over 10,000 used cars and probably appraised more than 4 or 5 times that.

for an ordinary joe, one may buy less than 10-20 cars in a life time. a professional may do that in an afternoon.

i find buying a new car is much easier than a used one. easier to compare options and prices when condition is taken out of the equation.
arm yourself with info. on your car and go from there. your ace in the hole is that you can walk away if you don't think you're getting a fair deal. the offer would still be good the next day if you decide to go back or another dealer would gladly match the deal if there's money to be made......with the exception of manufacturer's incentives where there's a deadline on rebates, etc.
btw salesmen generally don't get as much $ on a single deal as most people would think. my cousin had worked in new car sales where there were times he made like 50 bucks on a deal that took more than 5-6 hrs for the whole process. he said there's much more $ in used cars sales.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: