Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Here is what I've learned so far about NY city.
too many tolls and they are so expensive . Two bridges that we went through and we had to pay $7.5 each (twice)
Lots of traffic in the Manhattan area, lots of yellow cabs
The heavy rain this afternoon ruined part of my times in Manhattan this afternoon.
Drivers do not give yield to pedestrian (in boston and NH, drivers usually stop for pedestrain at any time).

Yep, that is why I hate the place and even though I worked there all my life and can see it from my roof, I never, never, never go there except to see my grand Kids. But if they didn't live there, I wouldn't even fly over the place. But thats just me.
BTW you will be safe in the Empire State Building because I installed the fire alarm system in the entire building :)

ifarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Yesterday: (monday 09/01/14)

The whole family went out to the Ferry, to the status of Libery and to the Ellis Island
We also walked to the world trade center and Ground zero after the visit to the island.

was a little bit disappointment at the status of liberty. We bought ticket just for the Pedestral level and there was nothing to see at that level. We then went outside and walked around the ground level instead to see the front of the status.
My 4 and 8 years old decided not to walk any more after the visit to the status. :)

Today : 09/02/2014)
go to see the Empire state building
will check out the Brooklyn bridge

So far we are having a great time and really enjoy the times in NY/Manhattan. I wish my kids are a little bit older

ifarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I thought I was not going to use the subway but I did end up using the subway.
I took the train (1) from 49St to Rector yesterday morning (I went there for the Ferry tickets).
I really like the subway system in NY better than in Boston. Much cleaner

ifarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
We stayed at the Holiday INN in Midtown Manhattan (W 57 Street) for two nights. That is the only place that have garage where we could park the car overnight. Most other places near Manhattan do not have any room available and no garage.

My family is just me, my wife and two kids (2 and 7 years old).

We went back to Boston last night for the kid to start school today. So far we love everything in New York. Not sure if we could afford to live there or not.
It was a great trip for me and for my family . Since our son was born, we have yet gone anywhere this far. Just too much hassle to go anywhere with little kids and that was why we been putting it off so many times.

On the way back to Boston from Manhattan, as we were driving thru Boston, we felt like Boston is like a country side and not a city especially after seeing Manhattan
Both me and my wife, we like living in the city, shopping and eat out ....etc.

I see myself living in New york city in a few years under one of these scenarios
1. a better job opportunity
2. kids on their way to college
3. a divoce my marriage would make me move to NY

a few question for you NewYorkers.
How's is the cost of living in NY?
Are housing expensive?
is it expensive to own a car in NY (insurance, tax...etc)
Do we have lots of high tech job opportunities in NY? I am a software programmer and reefer and my wife is a hair stylist

thank you every one

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I live on Long Island so not in Manhattan and I live on the smallest property you can build on which is 40' X 100' and I pay about 12,000 in real estate tax. If you live one mile west of me which is in the city limits the taxes go down to about 3,000 for the same size lot.
Taxes are much cheaper in the city limits but a small apartment in Manhattan could cost you 2 or 3 million dollars depending on where you want to live. My Daughter lives in the West Village and it is even more than that.
Car insurance in the City is more especially if you don't have a garage.
The cheapest place to live is in one of the boroughs like Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island or the Bronx which is why almost everyone lives there. You can get to Manhattan in a few minutes from any borough by train or express bus.
I personally like Boston better but as you said, it is a tiny city.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: