ifarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
hi everyone.

I am taking my family to visit NY city for the first time this Sunday-Tuesday. I plan to visit Manhattan and also to go see Status of Liberty while I am there. Could you reefers have any tips for me ? such as transportation, parking, hotel staying....I have two little kids so I probably will not use public transportation.

thanks
Farmer

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
NY's subway has extensive routes and will get you just about anywhere you need to go. It's a cheap fare as well. Many people are out of the city for the holiday weekend so I wouldn't expect the subway to be as busy as usual so you may want to reconsider. Assuming you're going to touristy areas, you should rule out parking if you're thinking of driving here. Parking is very limited and will take some time to find a spot; if you resort to garages it'd be pretty expensive. What I would recommend is to do the 'hop on hop off' bus tours. There are multiple routes you can choose and will cover the majority of places people want to see in NY. Considering how often these buses stop by, they can replace taking the subway during the day to get around, at least during the day. They also help you get a good bearing on where things are and planning your visit here if you're not too familiar with the city's layout.

As far as hotels, I've never looked one up in the city but I'm sure they're pricy. what I've done in other major cities when traveling with a few people is to do an apartment rental for a few days rather than booking multiple hotel rooms.

Good luck.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Take a walk over the Brooklyn bridge to brooklyn bridge park! Great for the kids , it's a park on the piers from the bridge itself to Atlantic avenue and it has a man made beach as well as a carousel that offers a nice ride for the kids for 2 bucks and for a few more bucks you can take a ferry to governors island and sight see one of new yorks best kept secrets and in return you can take the ferry to manhattan instead of Brooklyn and catch the Staten Island ferry which is free of charge and ride across the New York harbor for a nice ride and view of the city skyline, bring your camera......most of all enjoy yourself and welcome to nyc.

xclusive252

55 gal salt water
Rating - 97.6%
124   3   0
taxis can be expensive but so will parking unless you get a hotel with a garage. I recommend taking the family to time square and night to walk around and there is plenty of place you can go eat for a fair price. Try to also visit a ball park if you can I know your state has the sox but nothing is better then Yankee Stadium (Sry its the truth). If you have time the Bronx zoo is also a good place for the kids. Theirs a wax museum at time square also. As for yourself I would check out Manhattan Aquarium before you head back theres alot of good stuff there. If you get lost post on here or if you need more info post on here and ill try to respond ASAP and I'm sure the rest of MR will also help you out

n3hihz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Parking down by the ferry is super tough so I would recommend subway system it's quite easy and most kids find it fun and adventurous.

If you're walking the Brooklyn bridge I would take the train to Brooklyn. Enjoy the Brooklyn bridge part. Get some good ice cream at the ice factory then walk from Brooklyn toward manhattan. It's nicer from Brooklyn toward manhattan because you get to look at the sky line the whole time.

Governors island is open. Really nice place to hang out for families.

If you plan on visiting the musuem of natural history shoot me a pm.

I would personally stay at the hilton on east side. It's a bit more quiet but still close to everything, but any hotel will be pricey in manhattan.

The kimpton chains is always nice. Especially if you're bringing pets.

I have food recommendations if you want.

Just too much to nyc to just cram in this post.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
There is a lot to see. You'll find that traffic is not the route you want to take. Use other modes of transportation. If you have family in the area, use them wisely because it will help. Whenever I have family swinging by I take them out with my car and just show them around based on their "wants".

Atleast it's during a holiday and even Friday wasn't bad. Everyone is leaving the area while your going into the area so you should be fine.

It's better if you say where your trying to go. Use groupon, use hotel.com (CHECK REVIEWS then hurry and ask here). You also want to get a strategic hotel so you limit your needs of transportation. My cousin ended up just picking any hotel all the way near w 17th street and she didn't like the amount of transportation needed to get around.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
There is a lot to do. Check out our vendor forums for different places if you want to check out LFSs. Manhattan Aquariums, Central Aquariums (just moved so it may not be fully operational), etc.

As far as being a tourist, statue of liberty, chinatown (favorite chinese spot is called HOP KEE), check out the freedom towers, ground zero, empire state building, time square and just keep us updated on here if any one could help out further!

Empire state building will give you an overall view of the city. It will give you a little more perspective of how the city is setup.

Just remember east is towards more of NY like Queens, brooklyn, etc and west is pointed towards jersey. Ex. W 21st street is going to be on which side of the city, etc. Just in case you get lost. It's basically columns and rows. Avenues are from downtown to uptown and streets go east to west!

I just figured it out because of my job and would get a little lost but remembering above helped a little.

Last edited:

n3hihz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Agreed hop Kee and Woh hop are very Americanized and safe. I personally like big Wong for quick eat. If you're a foodie I would recommend ippudo ramen kind of pricey but great. Xi'an famous food for their lamb. Variety of pizza thin crush totonos in Coney Island. Regular slice de faires is great but long wait. I would skip Nathan cause they're hot dogs are worthless hit up crif dog instead. I can go on and on about food lol

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
What I would recommend is to do the 'hop on hop off' bus tours. There are multiple routes you can choose and will cover the majority of places people want to see in NY. Considering how often these buses stop by, they can replace taking the subway during the day to get around, at least during the day. They also help you get a good bearing on where things are and planning your visit here if you're not too familiar with the city's layout.

I agree with this, don't drive around in Manhattan. I worked there for 40 years and have to drive there today but even I hate it. When you go to the Statue of Liberty take both tours, one goes to Ellis Island where my and many Grand Parents came to the US through. It is right next to the Statue. Also the World Trade Center Memorial is only a few walking blocks from Battery Park where the Statue of Liberty Ferry leaves from. Be careful what you bring to these places as there is security and metal detectors everyplace. Empire State Building also.
I was at the Statue last week on my boat.

You can see the Freedom Tower here which is the tallest building in this picture and of course the site of the Trade Center Memorial.

I don't live far from Manhattan and can see it from my house but sometimes I stay there and I stay at the Marriot Marquet in Midtown. It has the only revolving restaurant in the city and it is not as pricy as it seems it would be, but of course there are cheaper hotels. The Mariot has those glass elevators that your kids would love. They go up the center core of the bldg which is actually inside but the place is huge so you think you are outside. Very nice place.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
You also have the marriott hotel in Brooklyn on Adams st at the foot of the Brooklyn bridge at tillary st , and that surrounds you with the tony neighborhood ( brooklyn hights) and also cobble hill which offer a array of dining experiences from Italian to Mediterranean and Thai ! Even good old fashioned pizza.

Ps if your near the Javits center .......visit manhattan aquariums , it's one of new yorks best kept reef stores .

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
the most important thing is to learn how to walk like a new yorker be aggressive or you'll never get where your going lmao. Hope you have a great time.

ifarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thank you so much everyone.

Just spent my day in Manhattan today, and took the family to China town for dinner this evening.

Day #2 will be to see the status of liberty and to see the Empire State building and the old twin towers place

anyone know which bus or subway that goes from (Midtown) 440 West 57th Street New York, New York 10019 United States
to
1 Battery Place, New York, New York 10004 (Battery Park)?

Here is what I've learned so far about NY city.
too many tolls and they are so expensive . Two bridges that we went through and we had to pay $7.5 each (twice)
Lots of traffic in the Manhattan area, lots of yellow cabs
The heavy rain this afternoon ruined part of my times in Manhattan this afternoon.
Drivers do not give yield to pedestrian (in boston and NH, drivers usually stop for pedestrain at any time).

thanks

Last edited:

ifarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
we are now staying at a hotel in New York Midtown. I plan to let the kids and the wife sleep longer til late morning. and I go to buy the tickets real early in the morning and I plan to take the bus.
Just not sure what bus or subway should I take to get me from New York Midtown (57street) to the Ferry place (Battery Park place).
thanks

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Link I posted above should give you detailed instructions. You'll catch the downtown 1 train, straight to Rector Street. 2-3 minute walk to Battery Park Place.

Bus link -- Bus you're looking for is the M20 (longer ride, but you can take in the sights and can always ask the bus drivers for directions, if needed) https://www.hopstop.com/?tid=40rlyfizwhgsv7ll

Last edited:

ifarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Link I posted above should give you detailed instructions. You'll catch the downtown 1 train, straight to Rector Street. 2-3 minute walk to Battery Park Place.

Bus link -- Bus you're looking for is the M20 (longer ride, but you can take in the sights and can always ask the bus drivers for directions, if needed) https://www.hopstop.com/?tid=40rlyfizwhgsv7ll

so according to this instruction.
the first route, I have to walk a little bit, then take the train and then walk a little bit more? Does not sound very far at all. I will give it a try first thing tomorrow morning. thanks

Untitled.png

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: