E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I'm looking to finally add some surround sound speakers to my TV and Blu-Ray player. I can't go crazy w/ budget, but I'd like something nice -- midrange I guess. Receiver + speakers is the plan for now.

The room is aprx. 17x16ft. I have a 46inch LED TV (Samsung) that my wife and I bought about 2 years ago. I'd love to get something bigger (maybe for Christmas) but for now this TV is fine. Anyway, the speakers will be used for movies, football (!!), playing FPS video games, and listening to music wirelessly if possible.

The plan is to buy a decent receiver and then slowly add quality speakers (same brand) as I go. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
http://www.avsforum.com/ is one of the best resources when it comes to home theater setups.

I run a 5.1 w/ a yamaha receiver and a 60" samsung connected to a htpc w/ all my movie files on it.

If your budget is small I'd suggest getting a receiver, 2 front speakers, and a sub to start. Once your budget allows depending on what you want to do add a center channel and rears.

Whatever receiver you buy expect to pay a few hundred for it. Make sure it is future proof meaning full hdmi, 4k support, 5.1 or 7.1 depending which route you go, etc.

Also stay away from home theater in a box unless you want just OKAY sound for a budget.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Thanks man, that was essentially my plan. Going to piece together a system slowly rather than buy an HTIB. First purchase will be the Receiver obviously.

I was looking at that AVS forum as well, and spent a lot of time on it yesterday. It reminds me of my early reefing days where I didnt understand anything :lol2:

My main issue is the somewhat awkward room layout and the fact that I need smaller speakers (sub can be larger).

Lots of reading to do.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: