Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a snowboard for this season and I would want it to last me a while as I don't go every single weekend during the season. I'm somewhat of a beginner but I would like an intermediate board. I was looking at some Burton boards which is what I would prefer but not sure of the specific models. Binding and boot recommendation is also appreciated. Thanks in advance, Fortunato

greybolt03

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I ride a burton custom X. Great boards I got mine brand new it was a $1000 board I paid $600 at the sale they used to have @ Giant stadium.i use the step in bindings they stopped making them years ago I found a par on EBay they are awesome...

:scratchch The Olympic sport of Biathlon is a winter sport that combines cross-country skiing and rifle shooting... NOT snowboarding with a compound bow!

Haha thanks for the heads up but I'm trying to make my own event, don't worry, I'll send you and invite once it goes through lol

As for the bow, I'm trying to get double the use out of it. Any deer in your backyard? LOL

I ride a burton custom X. Great boards I got mine brand new it was a $1000 board I paid $600 at the sale they used to have @ Giant stadium.i use the step in bindings they stopped making them years ago I found a par on EBay they are awesome...

Yeah I was really considering the Custom X and the Custom Flying V but I really do no want to spend more than $300 on a board. Been looking for a used or previous year's model but no luck so far.

n3hihz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
It really depends on what you're planning on doing? All mountain riding? Going to hit the park to do some tricks?

I would spend more money on the bindings and boots. It's not worth having crappy boots, and a nice board.

Most of my friend has the Burton Moto Speedlace and mostly positive review, if you want burton.

I opt to get cheap boats, some $30 pos 2 seasons ago and totally regretted it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really depends on what you're planning on doing? All mountain riding? Going to hit the park to do some tricks?

I would spend more money on the bindings and boots. It's not worth having crappy boots, and a nice board.

Most of my friend has the Burton Moto Speedlace and mostly positive review, if you want burton.

I opt to get cheap boats, some $30 pos 2 seasons ago and totally regretted it.

Definitely no tricks, I'm looking for speed and contol so just mountain riding, no park. I should add that I'm 5'7" so I'm looking for 151cm board, I know with some models there are only certain lengths.

I'm not looking to cut corners on boots and bindings, my budget for the 2 is 150-200 so that should get me decent stuff.

Overall I'm trying to stay under $600 with board, boots, bindings and helmet. Thank god I already have snowpants, jacket and goggles.

C

Cu455

Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
GNU is also another good company that makes budget boards. I assume you are looking for an all mountain board just to enjoy the mountain with and improve. Get a stiff board which goes up to your nose which is camber. I like twin direction boards, that's just me. Most companies intro boards are very similar and you probably won't even notice the difference.

Check out ebay for older model boards. Go to snowboard places around your area and see what they have. Their prices are often comparable to online places if you go early enough you can get a good deal on a old rental board. Usually snowboard places have good sales during Columbus day. You should also consider renting a board for the season. If you like it you can buy it if not you get a different one at the end of the season. Check this site out too.

http://www.the-house.com/buy-cheap-snbd-by-size-snowboards.html

More important then the board is the boots. I got Nike zoom force boots last season and they are awesome. They are warm and comforble. If you aren't going through the park get a stiff pair of boots.

I am using Rome Targa binding and like them a lot. They are customizable but that feature is kind of useless to me. I lost all the extra pieces. If I was to get new bindings I would look into a rear entry binding such as flows or k2 cinch.

Best thing to do is go to a snowboarding store and speak to the employees there. They are usually very helpful and knowledgeable. As much as you read there is nothing like seeing the products in person.

On a side note I started using this new method of waxing my snowboard and it is awesome. I really like the results.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/snowboarding-general-chat/72266-waxing-sauna.html

Make a list of what features you want and find a board based on that.
Twin tip or directional, rocker or camber, narrow or wide board.

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Theres stores near me (Sundown) that allow you to rent out new equipment for the season and if you like it you have the option to buy it. I would look into that option if I were you, it would be the best way to figure out if board, boot and bindings fit your criteria. Thats providing that there are stores in your area that will do that.

Sharkbait420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres stores near me (Sundown) that allow you to rent out new equipment for the season and if you like it you have the option to buy it. I would look into that option if I were you, it would be the best way to figure out if board, boot and bindings fit your criteria. Thats providing that there are stores in your area that will do that.

I would have never guessed this place rents snowboards. I always wanted to try snowboarding but lots of crazy people intoxicated people are on the mountain making it dangerous. There was a special on inside edition.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-sundowner-niagara-falls

So to the seasoned snowboarders...would you say buying a used snowboard is ok? I was really considering a new one because I'm not going to do anything crazy, just cruise and speed down the mountain but no tricks or anything outside of trails that would possible ruin the board. I've been looking at some of these used board and they have dings all over the edges. I mean if that's a common thing with just easy riding then I guess I'd be ok with it although I like to keep my stuff in pristine condition even if I'm using it.

I really like the Burton Clash board for the price. I found it for $172 on some website so I'm really pushing for that but I do want to remain open to getting a Burton Custom Flying V. I saw the bindings and so far I keep going back to Burton Cartel bindings. Still haven't picked boots though, they kind of all look the same but I'll look into those Nike ones that were mentioned.

C

Cu455

Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
Buy a used board as long as it isn't in super crappy condition. Some scratches and nicks don't matter. You can get great deals on 2nd hand snowboards. Even if the snowboard is 3 years old it was probably used less then 10 times. Snowboarding has a very high drop out rate and most people only go a couple of times a year. Use the money you save buying used and get a season pass.

It seems like you are interested in Burton. One of them has cartel bindings and there is also a custom in there.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/spo/4681068059.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/spo/4677470766.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/spo/4679837323.html
Others
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/spo/4663128838.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/spo/4677172660.html

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
I have a ride manic its a great board with ride Frankenstein bindings I have had it for three years I ride hard and it still looks brand new I get complemented on the graphics all the time and I just got new boots from Solomon not sure of the style name but instead of laces they have pull tabs its quick easy and comfortable. But snowboards are usually chosen by the style rider just slopes , freestyle, park n rails so to each is own

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
buying a used board is ok but it must be the right size for you and at a cost efficient price don't buy if if you can get a new one for $100 more you know

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Buying used is perfectly fine considering minimal damage to the board itself. I would say as long as you have very few large scratches and little to no rust on your edges you are good to go. Just get it waxed and edges sharpened and go. If you take a ride out to the Island I know Sundown does the rental on new equipt for the season, my buddy did it with ski's.

brand

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Get new stuff you dont want someone's Smelly boots lol.. serious get boots with windup laces cause regular always get loose and cartel bindings are affordable and good. And board your a beginner get a Burton board cheap one should reach to your chin. Get all Burton...with cheap board that looks cool.

I almost forgot don't forget wrist guards...better yet they have gloves with them built in, number one injury with snowboarding is broken wrist...or hurt.

Let me know when you want to go cause I hurt my knees so a beginner partner is better i can't keep up like old days.

Hit me up if you want some of your mushrooms also.

Ok thanks for the pointers guys. Now here's another question...if I'm 5'7", my recommended board length is 151cm. Could I get something longer if I come across a better deal, or just more availability on longer boards. Say a 155cm, would that work ok? Also a wide board, does that change anything? Last year I got a rental board and idk if the bindings were too bing for the board but my toes were sticking a bit off the board and it was mess me up some times. Found a decent deal on a Burton Custom Flying V 155cm Wide with Burton Mission Bindings

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: