Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Oh No, my snow blower croaked and I can't fix it. AAAHHHHHH. The machine is about 38 years old and I used to use it commercially so it has an enormous amount of tough hours on it. I was using it yesterday on our foot of snow, on top of our other foot of snow and I heard this crack. The thing usually breaks at least once a season which is normal for such an old machine but it has always been a belt, gear pin, wheel, chain, bearing or something that I could fix in an hour and get it running again. So after the hearing this crack, I removed the bottom steel plate and a gear fell out. That is not usualy a good sign but not to unusual. Upon further examination I found the problem. Two days ago I was going through very wet slush with it and then I put it away. During the night the temp went to about 12 degrees and the slush built up inside the gear box inside the machine where the drive mechanism is for the wheels are. The slush turned into a big solid block of ice and got between the drive chain and the gear, breaking the steel gear off the shaft right where it comes through the bearing. There isn't enough shaft left to weld and the shaft is a two diameter steel rod with the gear intrically built with the shaft in one piece. To fix it, I would have to demolish the machine which is American made and made extreamly well. Then I would have to have this part machined which would cost more than the entire machine. For a 38+ year old snow blower, it just doesn't make sense to fix it. I was up all night because I hate to buy a new machine. I have been looking but I doubt I can find an American one and what I see out there is junk which will last a few years at best. None of them seem to be built out of good materials that will last for years. Plastic or aluminum gears on a cheap housing is not what I am looking for but I guess I will settle for the best I can find. I see a Troy Built that looks decent (but still a step above garbage) Of course they are all out of stock but I hope to not need it until next year anyway.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Paul,

Things are not made to last anymore...companies build their business around customers needing new devices/equipment every few years.

"We could build a cell phone that would last you the rest of your life, but then we would go out of business"- Motorola exec

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Companies lose a lot of money on me because I will fix anything. Except cell phones, those I throw away. But I want something made well, and preferably in America. I hate to buy garbage. I want to see steel gears, not cast junk. If ity is cast junk, I will replace the parts with good parts. My boat is almost all re built because besides junk parts I really hate to see something designed to break or just be stupid. I even broke all the light bulbs on my boat and soldered in all LEDs in the sockets. Now they are bright and will last forever.
Rookie, I don't care if companies go out of business. Stuff is built like junk for people who don't know any better. I do. Everything is made in China now because the young generation just don't care if something is built where they live which is why so many people are un imployed. When stuff was made here, unimployment was much lower. Besides that it is just pride. Pride to be an American and support the country that so many of us died for so you can buy stuff from China. I could go on forever about this but I am baby sitting right now and my Grand Daughter wants to play.

Last edited:

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Paul,

This is a much larger conversation than we should be having....but I want to say something.
The younger generation may not buy things made in china/etc because they don't care and lack pride in America, they may do so because they don't know any better. Things have been made (mass produced) in China/etc since the early 80's (perhaps longer) and millennials have grown up with that...it's what they know, it's all they know.
Next, there is the very real possibility that we live in a global economy now. When we had our financial crisis (2009) the whole world felt it and fell into a crisis with us.
Our country may have moved past the manufacturing stage in its development, it appears that China/etc are now in that phase. We both know the frustration in trying to find a factory in the USA, and that is because that type of work is done elsewhere in the world. As sad as that may be, it is just what is happening.

Lastly, I have the utmost respect for every member of our country's armed services, both past and current. My father was in the army during Vietnam, and while he never saw combat his work on the team that built the Abrams M1 tank certainly had significant implications for the USA. I often randomly thank members of the army/air force/marines when I see them, as I believe they are owed everything for the sacrifices they and their families make for our country and the world!!! The same is true about Fire men/women and Police Men/Women...theirs is often a thankless and highly critized job that deserves higher pay and far more praise than they are given.

Last edited:

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Paul,

I found this very interesting:
http://data.bls.gov/pdq/SurveyOutputServlet

Check the unemployment rates from 1948 to current (1948 is as far as they go back).
Current rates are very similar to 1950. In 2006/07 we were fairly close to where we were in the 50's & 60's. Since 07/08 the rate has jumped, as you would expect since we were in a recession and are perhaps just starting to pull out of it (I hope!!).

Also, this is way over my head and perhaps all of ours', but since the population of the USA is so much higher than it was 50, 40, 30, and even 20 years ago, perhaps the number of jobs has not kept up with population growth? I don't know. Perhaps our country's transition to a higher educated country means that there are more jobs that require a BA or higher education degree and less high school diploma required jobs.... I would love to hear someone's thoughts on this who actually knows what they are talking about, like a social scientist or trader who trades using unemployment rates.

This is such a complicated issue that we can't just say "people don't buy american made anymore". I always try to buy American made products, but it's hard. Heck.... Even sears makes craftsman tools in China!!!

Also, lets not forget, "American Made" used to stand for something! High quality and craftsmanship.... Now it is more of a selling point than quality assurance.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I'm 33 and feel the same way as Paul it's a shame also check out the american made company weather tech proving that manufacturing can still be done be in the US by american workers I hope more companies follow their lead!

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Thanks Phil. You know me and my love of America. I am even embarassed to ride in a foreign car even if it was built here, but thats just me and I realize it is silly.
You know that I personally would pay double for an American snow blower even if it were inferior. That is also just me. Almost all of the younger generation, including you, my Son n Law and Daughter are in technical jobs which to me means pushing papers around. Those are not jobs that bult this country or the military hardware that created it and preserved it. It takes hands on people to do that along with techs. We need plumbers, electricians, carpenters, mechanics, welders etc to keep this country great but although we have those jobs, they are now mostly filled by immigrants as Americans don't want them any more. I was a construction electrician, building buildings all over NYC. AS I drive through I can spot all the buildings I worked on like the Empire State Bldg, Chrysler, Plaza Hotel , World Trade Center, etc. I am proud of my work and to me it is something I can see. It is tangable not just something I put on paper. I used my hands to build things. If we ever (God Forbid) had a war with China or anyone else, we would have to buy the bullets from them and that is a shame. I know a lot of people and none of their kids got into mechanical jobs even though the pay is good and you get a pension and usually free health insurance. That ain't to bad. Of course we needs techies. I am tutering some gifted engineering students this week in Manhattan. They are trying to come up with a machine to clean garbage off subway tracks. Unfortunately although they have some Ideas, not one of them knows anything about any tool.

jvu61

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the question is which would you buy. A Ford pick up with gears made from castings. or a Toyota Tundra which is made in Texas and has milled gears and the same 11 inch ring gear that is used in NASCAR racing? Me, I get the Toyota all day long

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Neither one. If those were my only choices, I would buy an old model of something else and re design it for my needs. I am thrilled that Toyota is built in America, but to me, it is still a Japanese company. Again, that is just me, but what about a company that was started in America like General Motors? I realize most of the parts are made overseas but I need to drive something. Right now I own a Jeep. It was built here but I doubt the engine was.
When I bought my last Jimmy truck I was told it was built in America but some of the engines were built in Mexico. I wrote it on the top of my contract that my engine will be made in America or they could keep the truck when it arrived. I checked the serial numbers and it was American. So I kept it.
If everyone thought like me, everything that was invented here would be built here. It is tough buying clothes and shoes but I manage most, but not all of the time. There are no power tools built in the States any more so I have to choose between Germany, China and a few more places. China is always my last resort as besides my Americanism, I find the steel they use for almost everything to be inferior. Those screws and bolts you buy in Home Depot are from China. Try to use some of those for something important and you will see what I mean. The steel is soft. Of course if you are not mechanical and don't build, fix or redesign things, that would not matter and you will have to replace whatever you buy with those inferior materials. I don't replace things, I re design them with better materials using a better design and it lasts forever and works better for my needs. I built my LED system for my tank. I could have bought one, but I wanted it designed correctly for my needs. And, so far, it is.
But, it is just me. I am old and stubborn. But proud to be an American. I don't want to think my year in the jungle was wasted.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Paul, did you know that China comes to the USA to buy scrap metal? China is the biggest buyer of American scrap....they use it to build their cities and infrastructure. Of course, China now has "Ghost Cities", Massive cities with no one living in them. Google it, it is kinda crazy!

I am also proud to be an American!!!

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
OK so I picked up a new Ariens Snow blower made in Wisconsin. It looks like a nice machine but no where near as well built as my old one but I guess nothing would be. The first indication of a problem is they give you 2 sheer pins. If you don't know, a sheer pin is a bolt that is the weakest part of the system so if something is going to break, the sheer pin breaks before something important. My old machine didn't need sheer pins because you couldn't break anything. If I picked up a cinder block, it would either crush it, or stop. But it would not break the machine. I know because in the 39 years I ran the thing I have picked up cinder blocks, bricks and garbage can lids.
I realize they are not going to build a machine that will last that long but as long as it lasts 10 years without a major engine disaster I am good. I may cry when I retire my old one unless anyone wants an engine (or an entire machine) that runs beautifully but is old. It is probably 5hp but I am not sure

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Its time for me to replace my running shoes. Unfortunately I can't find a single company that actually manufactures here in the U.S. Supposedly New Balance does. However, not every pair is manufactured here and I refuse to wear NB after owning a couple pairs of their cleats that fell apart and messed up my feet.

Unfortunately the elder generation felt the need to save some coin and ship those jobs overseas and set that M.O.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: