miserkris

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Guys. ..

I've been storing about 7 gallons of gas in my generac generator for around 18 months . It's mixed with stabil from the beginning.

Now can i still use it in case of power outage within the next one year. ...?

Or can i use it in my car. ..?
(My rav4 uses regular gas ).is there a risk associated?

Thanks in advance.

Ponyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Stabil the red is useless with ethnol and moisture
We only use marine stabil the blue one
I would drain it yes can use in car
I would not even put in generator I would leave in container and every 6 months use the marine stabil use it and refill with fresh gas
I would run generator dry and empty carb
I own a landscape company and that is the advice from 3 different mechanic shops I get

miserkris

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Stabil the red is useless with ethnol and moisture
We only use marine stabil the blue one
I would drain it yes can use in car
I would not even put in generator I would leave in container and every 6 months use the marine stabil use it and refill with fresh gas
I would run generator dry and empty carb
I own a landscape company and that is the advice from 3 different mechanic shops I get
Thanks. I'm curious why that old treated gas can be used for cars and not generator.

Ponyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Because it's still good but won't be when you need it
And you will be mixing it with fresh gas in a car
If you had a job and needed generator now I would use it but don't chance it ruining your carb by letting it sit to long then in an emgerency chance it won't work for one or another reason
That's why house generators have weekly or monthly self starts to make sure they work when u need them

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Your car is fuel injected and does not have a carburetor, so the old gas is fine
Just about every modern car for the past few decades are fuel injected

The generator likely has a carburetor, so they get clogged when the gasoline sits in the lines and starts to get stale

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Your car is fuel injected and does not have a carburetor, so the old gas is fine
Just about every modern car for the past few decades are fuel injected

The generator likely has a carburetor, so they get clogged when the gasoline sits in the lines and starts to get stale

fuel injectors are more supseptible to clogging than jets in a carburetor, but stale fuel isnt good for either.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: