bauer5

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang has weird white growths that are hanging on its tail. doesn't seem to bother him, he hasn't been acting weird and it eating.

Attachments

• IMG_20150703_143029384.jpg
    IMG_20150703_143029384.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 679

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
They will only eat the external parasite and not cure the fish from the disease. Get some close up pics if you can and if it is in fact marine ich do a search, there's a million threads on the topic and a few different treatment options. Good luck!

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Looks fuzzy white spot not ick not sure what that actually is called but a cleaner wrasse will eat it but my cleaner wrasse is a pest to few my fish so not sure he's worth adding as for the most part any serious illness they r not affective

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Is it just on the tail? And how large are the spots, like a grain of salt, or larger? If they are a little bigger and sit just at the edge of the tail fin, it could be lymphocystis. Ich will make the fish flash (scrape and flick against rocks) and may make the gills move quicker (difficult to get enough oxygen when your gills are covered with parasites). Lymphocystis doesn't do this. It is a virus, and generally doesn't affect the fish much if it is sparse. If it looks this way, just make sure the fish is well fed and as stress-free as possible, and it will go away on its own.

Aquageek

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like lymphocycstis. I'd make sure water parameters are good. Make sure it's getting enough nori. Add a cleaner shrimp...wait and see. Is it new? Another fish stressing it out?

bauer5

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is lymphocycstis, I looked online at more pics. its exactly that. its white spots on its tails and top fins. What should I do to fix it. My hippo tang had it first then it went away after 2 weeks. now my yellow has it. Should I be concerned bc I have a unicorn tang in there as well. All tangs are roughly same size, juveniles (2-3inches).

Water btw is perfect 0 nitrates, ammonia 8.2 ph, salt .017-.020 I think, its low like the tanks in the stores to prevent infections.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Lymphocystis is a virus, and it's pretty much impossible for a hobbyist to get piscene antiviral medications. As long as you keep the fish in good condition otherwise (good water quality, feed them often with good quality varied foods) they should fight it off on their own.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: