Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 11:31 AM
TimberTDI
Recovering Lurker
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (11)
TimberTDI is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Donor
Help with DSLR choice...

About two years ago I sold off my Canon dSLR and all my lenses. Lately the photobug has bitten and I'm looking to get back into the game.

I think this time around I'm going to use Nikon, I've narrowed it down to the d7000. Problem is that in my research it looks like Nikon will be releasing an upgraded d7100 later this year. Should I wait?

Any reason I shouldn't go Nikon?

Steven
Old 02-20-2012, 12:55 AM
JimmyR1rider
Swap Crew:  - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (17 (100%)
Friends: (61)
JimmyR1rider is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Donor
I really like my D90. I would just say go with whatever one feels best in your hand. You already have experience with them so I would think that would be the deciding factor?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:25 AM
smoq
Marcin
Reefer Ratings: (28 (100%)
Friends: (46)
smoq is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
D7000 is a great camera, so far the most advanced in their cropped sensor range. As for waiting, Nikon just announced two new full frame bodies so if they're planning to upgrade d7000 and not d300s first, it's not gonna happen till at least may (they usually annouce products in late april or august). And you won't be able to get it until few months after announcement. Believe me, I had to wait 4 months to get d7000 and I'm waiting for d800 right now. Anyway, I wouldn't buy a new body if there wasn't any reviews first. So if you're planning to get a new body, get d7000 IMO, you won't regret it.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Alex
Pretzel in Orange M&M
Reefer Ratings: (23 (100%)
Friends: (36)
Alex is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoq View Post
D7000 is a great camera, so far the most advanced in their cropped sensor range. As for waiting, Nikon just announced two new full frame bodies so if they're planning to upgrade d7000 and not d300s first, it's not gonna happen till at least may (they usually annouce products in late april or august). And you won't be able to get it until few months after announcement. Believe me, I had to wait 4 months to get d7000 and I'm waiting for d800 right now. Anyway, I wouldn't buy a new body if there wasn't any reviews first. So if you're planning to get a new body, get d7000 IMO, you won't regret it.
Don't want to side track the thread, but is this the camera your using now? If Si give us your own personal review.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs
CAPT. NEMO

CLAMS KILL.........

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...-want-cry.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny718 View Post
I happen to be a manager for Petco so hold on let me ask myself......

Not true
Old 02-22-2012, 08:31 PM
smoq
Marcin
Reefer Ratings: (28 (100%)
Friends: (46)
smoq is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Don't want to side track the thread, but is this the camera your using now? If Si give us your own personal review.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs
Yes,that is the camera I am using now, along with D90. The thing that really stands out in D7000 is it's ISO capabilities, I can easily crank up the iso to 800 and still end up with crisp pictures. The new tracking system is great too, helps a lot in moving subjects. I think that d7000 is nikon's best price to value ratio choice. And I won't change my mind until I get my hands onto d800
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 PM
charliethetuna88
Reefer Ratings: (43 (100%)
Friends: (39)
charliethetuna88 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
I just bought the cannon d60 and its awsome I asked the same question on here and had Alotta feedback search for my thread
Old 02-22-2012, 10:28 PM
marki24
Reefer Ratings: (72 (99%)
Friends: (25)
marki24 is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
is money an issue? If it is not I would definitely go with a full frame body. If you getting the "bug" to be in this expensive hobby its better off to start off with a full frame. I personally do not have a full frame but do have the D90 (i do like it) but its not like a full frame. Nikon is releasing their two new bodies D800/800e and also D4. If you not looking to spend that much I would go along with the D700 and if that is too much and you need to go with an DX model then difinitely D300 then D7000. Don't go for anything less. Hope that helps. Search BH photo for reviews and you can also search amazon. Both places have great reviews. Nikon is the way to go!!!

Good luck.