meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Another thread has peaked my interset in getting an SLR, at it seems that prices have come down far enough that I feel I can replace my old camera and get my fee wet. But I have a few questions, particularly regarding the Nikons.

After having done some research I have come to the conclusion that rather than buying into a "camera" I am buying into a lens system. I may very well replace my camera body in the future but will probably not want to buy all new lenses. (One of the benefits of SLR)

I was looking at the D40 and the D60 as they are the entry level models at a comfortable price point to send my wife out to get me one for chirstmas., The only draw back that I can see at this point is that autofocus is performed in the lens as opposed to the body. What I want to know is will autofocus lenses for the D40 and the D60 be usable on higher end bodies that have autofocus built in, or will I need a whole new set of lenses.

The reverse is true as well, I assume that autofocus lenses will cost more than ones where the auofocus is in the body. Lets say I decide that for a particular lens autofocus is not important, like a macro shot where I have plenty of time to compose the picture. Will I be able to use a non autofocus lense on a D40 or D60.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
From my understanding and research, you should be able to use the lens with the motor built in on higher end Nikons as well. But if you get a lens without the motor, you will have to focus it manually by turning it which can be a PITA if you want to take a quick pic, but it should still work if you have plenty of time to slowly focus manually.

Sigma also makes lens with the motor, which will say "HSM" which I think means hyper sonic motor that are compatible with the D40 / D60

I know Tamron makes them too, but I forgot the abbreviations

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
from what i remember the d40 has limitations on the different lenses that can be used with it, that is why i purchased the d80 as far as the d60 goes, i never researched it being that i purchased the d80 before the d60 came out. hope that helps

Sumbub

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I believe the D60 is a better model for the money spent. It is a newer model with some new tech in there. Most if not all, lenses of the Nikon line should work with it. As everybody else said, manual focus can be a PITA, but most lenses all have both options. I just recently bought the Tamron 90mm macro lense for the Nikon, and it's a very well made lense for its price point.

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
wow i was afraid that the af-s type lenses might be limited but from that site...there is aLOT of AF-S compatible lenses to use...that did help me narrow my choices a bit more....the nikon d40 is looking very temping now
would you guys prefer the AF on the body or on the lens...

jainy

Active Reefer
Rating - 50%
2   2   0
I have a D40 and a D300. Before I upgraded to the D300 I purchased a 18-200mm Nikon Zoom and it was a great combination. The zoom works perfectly in my D300. The D40 is a great camera but the kit lens is awful. The quality for your lens really matters. Unfortunately the better lens cost more than the D40.

You may want to check out http://www.dpreview.com/ for more camera and lens reviews.

NaCl H20

(not the vendor)
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nikon SLR Model Chart-Timeline

For those that are in the market for a new Nikon DSLR the model #'s can be confusing since they don't necessarily mean higher is better or newest. Take a look at this chart on this page, it clears things up a lot. Hope it helps.

Auto: I think the AF in the lens is much faster, it started out in the body and being mechanical screw driven and has progressed into the lens with electrical contacts between the lens and body.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Based on the post by Jainy (Welcome to MR), would I be correct in assuming that the more advanced models have the electrical contacts for the AF lenses.

jainy

Active Reefer
Rating - 50%
2   2   0
Yes the D300 has the connection for CPU lenses with built in motors (you can see a picture of the mount in the link below with the mechanical focus drive pin). The D300 also has 51 autofocus points compared to the D40's 3. But that is only useful with actions shots like sports. I actually use a single middle focus point on my D300. The d40 focusing is very quick with a quality lens. I would consider the d60 because of the sensor cleaning (sensor dust is a problem but can also be corrected in software) and live view.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond300/page2.asp

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
yep the higher end models have the electrical contacts.

i just did some research-

http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/nomenclature.htm

it looks like they serve more function that just talking to lenses with a focus motor.. they are also used for metering/exposure purposes.

"So, you're still hunting for the "perfect" lens eh ? How about a "silent wave" focusing lens with an improved focusing speed over the older AF-AIS lenses? How to get this? Put a silent wave focusing motor in the lens itself to make it quiet. Note that not all AF bodies can autofocus with these lenses because they lack the circuitry to drive the lens focusing motor. See the body/lens compatability page for help."

like nacl said, it appears as if when there is an af-s/hsm lens, the lens motor takes over even if there is one in the camera body. quieter and faster.

my buddy picked up a nikkor 50mm prime lens for his d300 for ~$150 new. i had to buy a sigma HSM prime for my d40 for $360. we compared pics back to back with both lenses on the d300.. the cheaper nikkor lens blew the sigma away.

i'll just borrow his camera if i want nicer pics. ha.

dan

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
It looking more and more like the D60 for me. If my wife doesn't get it for me for christmas (I got to give her choices), I will pick it up soon thereafter.

As I said, I more interested in buying a basic body and then starting a collection of quality lenses that I will be able to use going foward.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Matt, thanks so much for starting this thread. It is the EXACT situation I'm in. I am now leaning towards the D60 as well. Fantastic information everyone. I just love this community. :grouphug:

Russ

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Matt, thanks so much for starting this thread. It is the EXACT situation I'm in. I am now leaning towards the D60 as well. Fantastic information everyone. I just love this community. :grouphug:

Russ

Wish I could take credit, all I know how to do is ask questions it others who step up and provide answers.

Russ- on a side note, I hear you will have be bringing a pump to the swap for me from Allistair.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Wish I could take credit, all I know how to do is ask questions it others who step up and provide answers.

Russ- on a side note, I hear you will have be bringing a pump to the swap for me from Allistair.

Agreed on asking the questions, but you initiated it. I didn't. Thanks.

Alistair asked me to deliver a pump but didn't mention who it was for. I guess I now know :biggrin: I'll be seeing him on Saturday afternoon to get it for you.

See you Sunday. Talk about the D60 then too ;)

R

autoponicz