AlA

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi, I've been reading online forums for the past 2-3 hours trying to find a definitive answer on whether or not it is necessary to cure the Marco Key Largo dry rock. I will be adding it to a tank that isn't even set up yet but wanted to at least rinse this rock and get it ready before setting up the tank, and then stumbled onto the topic of dry rock needing to be cured (when i had my last SW tank 10 years ago I def didn't cure the dry rock, nor had I ever heard of curing dry rock)

Has anyone had any bad experiences with algae specifically on Marco Key Largo rock? From what I understand from their website and also Marco's answers on a few forums, is that the key largo rock is pre-cycled; meaning that it has been cleaned from all the leftover dead detritus.

If any of you have cured this rock, did you use the vinegar method? If so, what ratio of vinegar to rodi?

Thanks!

Gwiz3005

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
You can let the rock cycle along with the rest of the tank since you are starting from scratch (there are lots of posts on how to start your cycle here). If you were adding rock to an existing tank, then you would need to ensure the rock was cured before adding.

AlA

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for the info; I assumed that cycling the rock with the tank would be fine

I guess i'm also concerned about the rock having phosphates that I don't want to introduce to the tank, especially during cycling/shortly thereafter, which is why I'm asking about the vinegar soak. This article has me slightly concerned/questioning what I should do

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1730214&highlight=marco

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: