Rating - 100%
141   0   0
Ok added another reactor. With de*nitrate.

Attachments

• IMG_20110902_002526.jpg
    IMG_20110902_002526.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 592
  • IMG_20110902_002504.jpg
    IMG_20110902_002504.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 548

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for all your help.

Here is more about the algae scrubber

Hi
Have a look here, photos and some videos ...

DIY Algae filter screen | Aquariums Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lAr5fj54kQ&feature=player_embedded

In the photo below you can see how to install an algae scrubber. In the case the water coming from the tank to the sump, was diverted to the algae scrubber in a manner that it is dripped on it through a pipe with several holes.
100_2154%255B1%255D.JPG

more photos
100_2159.JPG

100_2162.JPG

Here is when it started ... My friend spent 6 euros to perform the change on his tank water return pipes so that it was diverted to the pipe with holes that drips the water on the plastic screen

Algae scruber beginning

algae scrubber with reflectors

algae scrubber the third iteration

Pedro Nuno ;)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all...
I am very glad with my scrubber, but there are some caveats.

There should not be too much water circulating, there might happen some spills outside the sump.
My algae scrubber has about 45 cms lenght, there aren't any holes
see here:
http://vimeo.com/6896499

it's a big slit, where the net is suspended.
Inside the pvc tube, there is a smaller tube, where the net is folded (I am using "2" screens of plastic net, in reality is only one, but folded inside the pvc tube), this smaller tube prevent the folded net from falling between the slit.
I think if you watch the video you understand.

There are many perpendicular slits for better flow of the water, more perpendicular slits, the less possibility to get some spils.

If you make some sorte of shadow on this slits, the better... we don't want that "holes" slits, to clog...

I do not have any problems, only one side is getting light (it's enough), I had already taken out all the traditional lighting and put leds...
less electrical problems (if we get some spill), there is only 12V...more safety....

of course you could put some barriers, I don't have any, and never had any problem.
when some of the slits are clogged, there is more speed in the other slits...
I move the folded net, within the pvc tube, and...like magic...it clears all the slits...
Of course If I put an 6000 return pump, I might get problems...the more the flow the more likely it will spill outside.

plastic panels producing barriers might be a good idea...
like I said I did not make that...with some months of algae scrubber, I think I am safe...
but **** happens...
;)

It's kind of dificult to me thinking in portuguese and translating with my bad english to you...
;)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some caveats with my algae scrubber, first there should be some care, with the water flow.

to much and we get spills...
I only have 3000 liters per hour, with my pvc tube of 40 cms.

I improved my design, with slits, not holes.

An plastic net folded inside the pvc tube, with an smaller tube inside, larger than the slit of the pvc tube

whatch here:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aZd4u6ysNSw/SsVOAPLGiyI/AAAAAAAAAX8/HnLJ__rCrPs/s1600-h/100_0700[1].JPG

If there are some slits clogged, I only move the net several times inside the slit, and the "garbage" goes away.

Of course if we put some kind of "wall" to prevent possible spills, the better, and some shadow in the outflow of that pvc tube.
Nevertheless I never had a problem, if there are some slits clogged, the water goes to the other slits...and the cleaning is very easy, like I said before...

The design:
One major slit horizontal, and many smaller vertical slits...(perpendicular)
I have 4 leds, 3 watts cree xp-g, fueling the algaes...

if there is no nitrates, I get more cyanos on the net...I can even guess if there is nitrates or not.
;)

I only have light with one side, it's enough to produce 0 nitrate and 0 phosphates....yes...

Please forgive about my poor grasp of the english language...
I am glad and thankfull to Pedro Nuno, for introducing me to this great community here in manhattanreefs...
My first post!

Regards!
Ant?nio Vitor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the double post, I thought the first one was lost...
;)

You can see the ALGAE ATTACK on my tank in this picture before the algae scrubber "innovation", in the background:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aZd4u6ysNSw/SsVOAPLGiyI/AAAAAAAAAX8/HnLJ__rCrPs/s1600-h/100_0700[1].JPG

After some time getting less and less algae (in the tank), because of the algae scrubber for sure, I boought my ATB SKIMMER and dropped the algae scrubber because of space, the skimmer is very large!

The situation did not improve with this great skimmer (skimmer for 500 gallon, I only have 125 with the sump), after some months of heavy skimming,I removed the skimmer, why I am using the skmmer?
I asked myself, because the others are all using one?

I have no skimmer from march till today with no problems whatsoever.
And I am selling my ATB today to a friend that want one...
;)

Regards!
Ant?nio Vitor

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad and thankfull to Pedro Nuno, for introducing me to this great community here in manhattanreefs...
My first post!

Regards!
Ant?nio Vitor

Hi Ant?nio Vitor :)
TY for accepting the invitation to this great community of MR, for your posts and explanations of your experience with algae scrubber (I still like skimmers :) ) and welcome to MR.

Pedro Nuno ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: