Seacilian77

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has too many loose pieces of LR. I wanted to consolidate them into 2 or 3 pieces for easy cleaning and removal.

I was going to hold the pieces with fishing line and then form out a bond made out of hydraulic cement.
Hydraulic cement is basically portland with silicate for waterproofing capability.
It also hardens very quickly and is very strong.

Composition typically include:
portland cement
Crystalline silicate
Fused calcium alluminate
Calcium sulfate
Hydrated lime

The idea is to bind live rock and then encase it in the hydraulic cement. Once the cement is hard, almost dry,to the touch I will re submerse in the DT.
I figured while the DT is laying fallow for the next 9 weeks (Ich dying off, crossing fingers) I might as well scape it to something I like.

I am in the construction industry and have plenty of experience with concrete.
Any constructive thoughts are appreciated and thanks in advance.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Waterfall foam ?
Yes, it kinda binds rocks together, but it isn't the easiest stuff to work with.

Keep in mind that if you take your rocks out of your tank to attach them together, you will likely have at least a mini-cycle when you put them back in.

If you want to attach rocks together, better to use zip tires and Aquarium epoxy to cover them, or acrylic rods.
I wouldn't put any type of cement in the tank..it will leach lime..and silicates back into your tank and you will have all sorts of algae issues. People who make their own rock using cement typically leave it in either running water - or water changed daily - for MONTHS before adding it to their tanks.
Please rethink this :)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Many fully stocked LFS's sell Aquarium Epoxy, or you can buy it through one of our vendors or on-line.
Two Little Fishies makes a brand called 'Aquastik' and it can be bought in either grey or a color that looks like pinkish coralline.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Kathy bro! Stay away from hydrolic cement ! I just rescaped my tank cause of the same problem with lose rocks.. I used the epoxy and frag glue which dries just as fast as hydrolic cement! I can get you the name of the brand I used but it worked really good! My tank came out great and I checked all the glued rocks the next day and let's just say they ain't moving anytime soon lol...

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i'm getting ready to redo mine, i just ordered acrylic rod and epoxy gonna give it a try.
i think macro rock makes some kind of fast drying cement made for aquaria use.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: