watevadog5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have been a long time freshwater guy. The opportunity to try salt water was present to me recently. I was giving an old simple set up. 36 gallon bow front. About 20 lbs of rock, 2 clowns and a damsel. After breaking down tank, dropped off fish w a buddy who set them up in a holding tank. Set up was nothing more then a HOB rated for 50 gallons with added filter media. Rock has been quickly bleached, rinsed and dried in Sun. Tank has been cleaned as well and decided to throw out crushed coral in exchanged for white sand. I have what looks to be a basic led lighting unit. Again, a simple set up. Obviously my scape and cycle come next before fish can be put into tank. I'm leaning to keeping keeping it simple and going more of an invert tank. Or fish that will remain small. I don't have equipment or $ yet to try corals but as I can see here I am anticipating the addiction lol. I have no real questions yet but I guess looking for advice, ideas etc. Thanks in advance.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
This forum has a lot of people willing to help and offer info and livestock as well as dry goods and equipment , some of the best reefers come here to share what they have learned and what they approve and also disapprove , sometimes things can get hairy on some threads but the mods will clear it up quickly .

Here is my advice to you..... Don't ever hesitate to ask whatever questions you may have , the only stupid question is the one you won't ask!

Enjoy the threads and take advantage of the many vendors that are offering great deals here on mr .

watevadog5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
also have my first question. I recently added my Instant Ocean salt to my tank, according to my tests I have a very high salt content. Should I let it sit overnight and maybe it will drop or should I drain some and just add water?

watevadog5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I went with tap. I did my research on this site and I see a lot of guys who live in New York City area seem to get away with using tap water. I added the salt to the water and mixed. I eventually would like to step up piece by piece and I think a ro/di unit would be first on my list. I used a refractometer ( very basic one) came up with a 1.038

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
That number won't come down unless you slowly replace some of the water with fresh water while taking measurements slowly , your water evaporates but the salt remains so it will actually give you higher salinity reading in the days to come .

A rodi is a must because using tap water will encourage the growths of both algae and red cyano , those are two issues you won't want to deal with believe me .

watevadog5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Ok, played w water a bit. Got my level of salinity to 1.025. Filter is running w filter and media bag from old set up. Thinking bacteria will help cycle. Am I right in thinking this? Trying to maintain temp 76-78. Sand and rock are in place. Am I missing anything? I read to keep lights off during cycle...?

watevadog5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Few pics...

Attachments

• 0614141539.jpg
    0614141539.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 0614141626.jpg
    0614141626.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 153
  • 0614141903.jpg
    0614141903.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 154

watevadog5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
To first question, it's greenish. I will try to post a pic in a bit. Second I spoke w a friend n we agreed on my budget I would upgrade filter , looking at emporer 400 which holds 4 filters. I would remove the back two and add bio balls or some cheato. How does that sound?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: