Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Ok so I picked up two icecap 250w metal halide setups a from a member here a couple of months ago. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that one of the bulbs was noticeably dimmer than the other(14k reeflux). I knew that I should have put new bulbs on it from day one anyway and figured that was what it was so I ordered two new ones. Everything went fine and they fired up beautifully on Saturday. So I was feeding my tank just now and noticed that I am once again having the same problem. The bulb appears more blue than the other ( which is what it was like before). They are electronic ballasts so I know it isn't a capacitor issue. I also noticed that the problem ballast was significantly cooler than the other, although I am able to touch both of them Without burning my hand. Both ballasts are mounted to the wall with the screw holes too so they get plenty of air. Just wondering if I have any options other than replacement as I really can't afford anything right now or In the foreseeable future. Thanks in advance for any help. -John

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
You're right, they do say the Reeflux bulb will get you the intended Kelvin if driven by a magnetic ballast. But I don't think that is why you're experiencing that one bulb being brighter than the other. It's most likely the ballast has started to go bad. And from my experience as a electrician, it's the one that is dimmer than the other that is defective. Keep in mind if you're looking to pickup a new ballast, it's kind of hard to get the same exact output (that's if you're using a multi meter to take an output reading going to the bulb) from a ballast even if they're identical.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: