C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Water changes. When you change the water vacuum the gravel and rocks. Make sure your filters are clean.

What is your tank setup and feeding schedule?

Justcause0_1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a 75 gallon with t5 ?5 and a sump LR in tank and in sump.I have some softies and 1 fish, I just bought the whole thing from someone and set it up it was clean at first and after about a week the algae started growing. Run my lights for 8 hours and feed 3 times a week

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
take a turkey master and blow all the dibris off the rocks get in all the nooks and crannys. Large water changes and try running phosphate reducing pads in your filter. Also how old are the bulbs? Old t5 bulbs will cause bad algae growth.

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP....green algae is over running my tank.my phosphate level was a bit high so I added macro algae to my sump a few days ago...I also added some snail and reduced the time that I have the lights on......what else can I do???

What type of algae is blooming?

Am I correct in thinking that the sand, rocks and animals came with the aquarium, sump, pump, skimmer, pipes, etc.?

What are your nitrate and phosphate levels?

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you are correct it all came with the tank......nitrates-0 phosphates-.25

I have read that low nitrates might not support macro algae growth, so, don't panic and think that you have another issue if it dies or grows slowly.

I would add be patient to the suggested remedies. It could take weeks to eliminate the slime.

With regards to water changes, I don't understand why they work but I experienced it first hand in the reduction of cyanobacteria. My water chemistry was similar to yours and I was not doing anything special to slow down the red slime growth, just sucking it up when it got too distracting. After many weeks of this, I started a daily or every two day 10% water change. After changing a total of 20-30 gallons (my system is 50 gallons), the cyanobacteria growth slowed down and is now receding. My nitrates and phosphates levels were only halved, just like every other chemical in the water, so, go figure. I don't get why it was so effective, unless it was just a coincidence. People do win the lottery.

The only other observation, which I posted, was that green microorganisms began to grow and replace the red slime in the lump. Now even they are starting to disappear. Did the water change add a little something that allowed other organisms to grow and out compete the red slime? I am thinking hard about this and reading a lot about cyanobacteria to figure why water changes could have such a dramatic effect, assuming of course it was not just dumb luck.

Good luck to you!

mcnuggget

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your treating the symptoms and not eliminating the source of he problem. check where the excess nutrients are coming from.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: