Cave Dweller

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
... that is the question.As easily noticed in numerous member signatures, a fair share seem to run controllers of some sort. I'm running a 75 FOWLR that pretty much just has a heater, return pump, and lights on it, with items possibly as a dual reactor and maybe a small skimmer or ATO in the future. Is it worth while to invest in a controller or just a few timers for whats needed? Most items would be things that are on 95% of the time (lights, return pump, skimmer pump it implimented, and an ATO systems power).

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Its not something which is needed, but if you have the extra money get it. You wouldn't regret having it.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
For me having a controller isn't about being a timer for just turning things on and off. It's got monitoring, failsafes, handles my dosing, etc. its certainly not needed, but I personally wouldn't be able to run my tank without it. But no, its not needed.

Cave Dweller

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well yeah I understand that it does do a lot more than just act as a timer as it checks parameters and such, but in my standpoint I'm trying to justify if I should shell out some money now and see if I go in a direction that requires more detail regarding my tank, or if I should take the cheaper option and see where it goes.

Granted reef tanks and such require more tending (and no I'm not saying that FOWLR's can just sit there without anything being done), just was just reaching out to see what could be done. I saw like a Reef Keeper Lite with some of the more basic features etc that wasn't over the top expensive that could be worth just trying out.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Take a look at the ReefAngel for another inexpensive (yet full featured) choice. Reef Radiance is selling them on sale too (like 40 off..)

Anyway, its up to you what you want if you want a high tech tank or more to the basics. Any controller based failsafes can be recreated with simple components so definitely not a necessity. Just where do you want to take the tank.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I wouldn't say it's needed. But it's nice to have. A controller allows for more precise monitoring, controlling, and automation. Notice I say more precise, that's because some of the functions of a controller can be achieved with timers.
Based on what you posted, your funds would be better spent first on a skimmer or even an ATO rather than a controller.
Also, since you have a fowler I think it's more forgiving with the swing in parameters.
P.S. I love my Apex controller and I wouldn't keep a tank without one.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
If you can swing it without busting the budget, I say go for it.

....It can protect your tank against a heater going bad (set it to turn off the heater when tank gets above or below a certain temperature)

..it can do the same for your lighting..if you run any lights that produce heat

..for those 2 points alone, I suggest a controller.

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Based on what you posted, your funds would be better spent first on a skimmer or even an ATO rather than a controller.
Also, since you have a fowler I think it's more forgiving with the swing in parameters.

This is great advice.

Cave Dweller

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I absolutely agree that there are other things that I would prefer to have added to my system. Especially the ATO since that at times is one of my weaknesses and that where the tank is located with no tops tends to contribute often. As stated it can be beneficial to protect on regards to the heat and such but was curious as I do not directly know someone using one to discuss it so I bring the questions to the next best thing! MR of course!
Thanks all for the advice. Perhaps if I'm good Santa can bring me one!

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I have had multiple heaters fail and then stay on. The first time this happened I didn't have a controller and my tank broke 100 degrees (was a 5 gl tank). Everything died. I will never run a tank without a controller again. I run my fan and heater off of my controller and that is it.
A controller will prevent a heater from staying on to long or permanently, almost all heaters will fail eventually.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I have had multiple heaters fail and then stay on. The first time this happened I didn't have a controller and my tank broke 100 degrees (was a 5 gl tank). Everything died. I will never run a tank without a controller again. I run my fan and heater off of my controller and that is it.
A controller will prevent a heater from staying on to long or permanently, almost all heaters will fail eventually.

Cavedweller, I totally agree with rookie07! I also have had heater failures with lost of life which would/could have been prevented had I had controllers at those time. And as KathyC posted you can also control your lights.;)
I know you are currently running a FOWLR, and it seems that it is not all that important. But you may just decide to start adding corals one day. So having a controller already will make one less piece of equipment you'll need to purchase.;) Now, if you know for a fact that you will stay with just the FOWLR, you can look into the Ranco controller to keep those pesky heaters in check.;)

Attachments

• Ranco controller.jpg
    Ranco controller.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 83

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: