arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So i was thinking of adding chemi pure elite to my bicoube 29. It has been running for about a month and a half. Starting to get GHA and cyano. I only have 2 fish and do biweekly 5 gallon water changes. Would adding chemi pure be a good idea for me to help reduce phosphates and keep water clean? Or is it not necessary? Also it says that a bag of chemipure remains active for 4-6 months. Does that mean that if i get it i can put it in back of the tank (chamber 2) and leave it there for 4-6 months or is there any maintenance that goes along with this?

Thanks

arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Go ahead and add it. By first make sure you are using pure enough top off water and aren't over feeding. Make sure you have enough flow- at least turning over tank 10x/ hr.

I use RODI water to top off my system. Feed once every other day of raw shrimp. Started cutting back on the feeding. But what does the flow have to do with it? Im putting it in the sump

mandown123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I used to use chemipure elite and I like it/would def use it again. Rinse it before you add it to get off all the superfine particles. I find it benefits from some water flow, rather than being stagnant.

I'm hearing a lot about RowaPhos, I'm currently thinking of trying that. Shoving it in my HOB skimmer wherever it can fit.

Maybe change the 5G once a week instead of once every two. I'm trying to do that on my 30G tank, myself.

arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I used to use chemipure elite and I like it/would def use it again. Rinse it before you add it to get off all the superfine particles. I find it benefits from some water flow, rather than being stagnant.

I'm hearing a lot about RowaPhos, I'm currently thinking of trying that. Shoving it in my HOB skimmer wherever it can fit.

Maybe change the 5G once a week instead of once every two. I'm trying to do that on my 30G tank, myself.

Thanks for the input! how often did you replace the chemipure when you used it?

mandown123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I believe once every 3/4 months, but I imagine it's totally dependent on the variables of your bio load, the flow to it, etc. Just check your phosphate levels time to time once you've got them to zero.

best,

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was thinking of adding chemi pure elite to my bicoube 29. It has been running for about a month and a half. Starting to get GHA and cyano. I only have 2 fish and do biweekly 5 gallon water changes. Would adding chemi pure be a good idea for me to help reduce phosphates and keep water clean? Or is it not necessary? Also it says that a bag of chemipure remains active for 4-6 months. Does that mean that if i get it i can put it in back of the tank (chamber 2) and leave it there for 4-6 months or is there any maintenance that goes along with this?

Thanks

You can't hurt anything using Chemi Pure Elite but it is not a miracle cure for cyanobacteria and hair algae growth either.

If you are interested in reducing phosphates, use GFO, not GFO mixed with carbon.

With either material, unless it is under good flow conditions, these solids will not take much phosphate from the water nor will the carbon adsorb much organic material. They will pretty much just sit like lumps.

Does it last 4-6 months? That depends on how much phospate and organics need to be adsorbed. I would not trust the 4-6 month estimate in any case.

GFO works quickly. Measure your phosphate level and add GFO. When the phosphate level stops decreasing add more GFO. If the phosphate level does not drop in a day or two, the flow through the medium is inadequate. It is very straightforward.

Dan

arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You can't hurt anything using Chemi Pure Elite but it is not a miracle cure for cyanobacteria and hair algae growth either.

If you are interested in reducing phosphates, use GFO, not GFO mixed with carbon.

With either material, unless it is under good flow conditions, these solids will not take much phosphate from the water nor will the carbon adsorb much organic material. They will pretty much just sit like lumps.

Does it last 4-6 months? That depends on how much phospate and organics need to be adsorbed. I would not trust the 4-6 month estimate in any case.

GFO works quickly. Measure your phosphate level and add GFO. When the phosphate level stops decreasing add more GFO. If the phosphate level does not drop in a day or two, the flow through the medium is inadequate. It is very straightforward.

Dan

Thank for your input.. I bought chemipure elite the 6oz one to try out and see how it goes. Now i understand that adding chemipure elite won't cure the cyano and GHA but i want it to help out in reducing it and not allowing it to take over the entire tank. I will perform more water changes as part of my schedule but would also like another form of filtration in the tank to help out

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Chemipure is indeed only Carbon mixed with the resin you find in an RO/DI filter. So while the carbon will still be active for a bit, the DI inside a reef tank will become useless pretty fast. The Elite version is that plus some GFO.

Since they all have a very different lifespan, I would do what Dan is recommending: get some good Carbon (look at the recommendations from Boomer for instance) and some GFO, change each as needed. And life will be easier (cheaper too on the long run)

arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Chemipure is indeed only Carbon mixed with the resin you find in an RO/DI filter. So while the carbon will still be active for a bit, the DI inside a reef tank will become useless pretty fast. The Elite version is that plus some GFO.

Since they all have a very different lifespan, I would do what Dan is recommending: get some good Carbon (look at the recommendations from Boomer for instance) and some GFO, change each as needed. And life will be easier (cheaper too on the long run)

I ordered the chemipure elite and I'm going to test it out and see how i like it in my tank. Thanks for the input. I will have to take a look at the recommendations like you said. But as of now i will test out the chemipure elite

Maldonado

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I've been using elite for a few years now, love it! Keeps your water crispy clear. Will it remove your problem, no but it will help. Once you get it, rinse it for the first time with fresh water, you'll notice the carbon will come out dark at first and that's normal. I place it in the bottom chamber. And the life spam on it, all depends on your load. For me, I change it every 2 months. But you should always rinse it when you do your regular routine maintenance in the mean while, hope that helps

sun1914

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
i use CPE and def recommend it but as everyone already stated it wont fix the issue. I would increase the 5g bi weekly to weekly and cut back on the feeding.

I had the same issue with my biocube and thats what i did to solve it. did take me about 3 months or so. every water change i scrubbed off as much as i could off the rocks (never had any cyano on sandbed) and then remove the 5g and add 5g.

good luck and dont get frustrated, there is no overnight solution.

arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i use CPE and def recommend it but as everyone already stated it wont fix the issue. I would increase the 5g bi weekly to weekly and cut back on the feeding.

I had the same issue with my biocube and thats what i did to solve it. did take me about 3 months or so. every water change i scrubbed off as much as i could off the rocks (never had any cyano on sandbed) and then remove the 5g and add 5g.

good luck and dont get frustrated, there is no overnight solution.

Thanks for the input. I've been in the hobby for too long to know that the CPE won't cure the cyano or anything lol. But i just want the CPE to help out with the water quality. I only have 2 clownfish so i think feeding every other day is good enough. I will start getting into the habit of weekly water changes if possible. I went from a 75 gallon where i did water changes once every month to now a biocube where it will have to be weekly lol.. something i have to find time for.

arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've been using elite for a few years now, love it! Keeps your water crispy clear. Will it remove your problem, no but it will help. Once you get it, rinse it for the first time with fresh water, you'll notice the carbon will come out dark at first and that's normal. I place it in the bottom chamber. And the life spam on it, all depends on your load. For me, I change it every 2 months. But you should always rinse it when you do your regular routine maintenance in the mean while, hope that helps

I only have 2 fish in there now, and plan on getting one more so the CPE should last me some time. (3-4 months). Do you have it where you have decent amount of flow on it?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: