ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
The problem is caused because your drain can't drain fast enough until it creates a siphon. Once all air is out of the pipe, its siphoning the water down faster until it reaches below the pipe and sucks in air which breaks the siphon. Then the process repeats.

Have you tried removing that tubing on the top?
The second option would be to restrict the return pump so its pumping water up more slow. Like albano said, never restrict the drain unless you have more then 1 drain (second drain unrestricted) otherwise if some small debris falls to clog it a little more, then you will come home to an empty sump and wet floor

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
The airline tubing is acting as a siphon break by letting air into the pipe. It also keeps it quieter. However the pipe isn't getting enough air for the amount of water it's draining so it keeps siphoning even though it has a siphon break. You can either slow down the return pump to slow down the amount of water through the overflow box and then drain pipe or you can increase the size of the airline tubing. You can increase it to 3/8" or 1/2" RO or airline tubing and put a valve on it. Although you aren't running a full siphon system at all like a Bean Animal or Herbie so I am not even sure a valve on the airline will be needed. Bottom line is that if you want it to stop siphoning you need to get more air in the system by increasing the size of the tubing.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
The airline tubing is acting as a siphon break by letting air into the pipe. It also keeps it quieter. However the pipe isn't getting enough air for the amount of water it's draining so it keeps siphoning even though it has a siphon break. You can either slow down the return pump to slow down the amount of water through the overflow box and then drain pipe or you can increase the size of the airline tubing. You can increase it to 3/8" or 1/2" RO or airline tubing and put a valve on it. Although you aren't running a full siphon system at all like a Bean Animal or Herbie so I am not even sure a valve on the airline will be needed. Bottom line is that if you want it to stop siphoning you need to get more air in the system by increasing the size of the tubing.

Its possible that tubing is clogged, that's why I suggested to remove that tubing first. But no response on this thread yet...

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Its possible that tubing is clogged, that's why I suggested to remove that tubing first. But no response on this thread yet...

Yeah but if it's clogged why would it work for a few seconds and then build up and flush out? Wouldn't it just build up??? Whatever if the guy checks his thread he has what to start with to figure out the issue...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: