32Bit_Fish

I have decided to set up a 20G reef tank. It will be my FIRST SW tank and I'm very excited about it.

I visited Fish Town again today and found a 24G Nano tank. That was the tank I was originally planning to get. But I don't like the dimension of the tank. So a 20G high is my pick.

So what type of filtration system should I get for the 20G? or do I really need one? I'm going to use R.O 100%. Maybe filtration is not important?

Blue02celi

Wannabe reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
when I was looking at nanos, I checked out sapphire aquatics, they make skimmers that fit into Nanocubes, Biocubes and aquapods without having to make modifications. they also make a HOB skimmer/fuge http://www.sapphireaquatics.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=5

from the reading I did, I was often told since those tanks are so small that skimmers and such werent as much a need since they were soo small, but with this Id imagine you'd be better off than not having anything while also keeping it simple. they're out of stock now but i wrote them before and they said they were working on making more

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I heard some negative feedbacks about these small Overhead Skimmers. They dont work that well compare to the bigger ones.

I want to keep everything as simple as I can. Maybe I can buy a OH filter and put some filter pads or bio-balls in it? Or maybe add some LR in the filter?

Blue02celi

Wannabe reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Im sure any HOB skimmer isnt gonna work as good as a standard sized skimmer, but I've seen alot of people on Nano-Reef.com that have it and seem to like it. besides what sapphire aquatics and nanotuners.com has, others seem to just do like 4G water changes a week and dont have any other equipment.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So do I get less w/c if I have that skimmer installed on my tank? That skimmer is cost $90.

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
You should have a skimmer... some advanced aquarists have small skimmerless tanks, but do water changes to constantly add clean water. For a 20g you won't need a huge skimmer, but you should get a good one.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Blue02..

I'm just getting a 20G tall tank. Not Nano.

Digital..

Which skimmer would you recommend?
Why skimmer works better any filters on SW tank?
I used to have canister filter and OH filters for my Fresh water tanks. They worked fine..

Can anyone explain? Thanks

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Thanks for the link. Which brand would you recommend? Some of the hangon skimmers can be used for an aquarium up to 100+ gallon. Would it be too big for my 20g tank?

Henrye

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wouldn't rely on those estimated tank size volumes as provided by the manufacturer. When they say 100+ gallons, that is usually an overestimate based on a lightly, or really not, stocked tank. A rating of 60 to 100 gallons (depending on maker) is not excessive for a 20g tall.

As for needing a skimmer at all, I've been running a 24g Aquapod for a little under a year with water changes alone as well, also with chemipure, purigen and polyfilters). However I did get one of the sapphire aquatics skimmers that allows me to close the hood, and am pretty impressed by the amount of junk it pulls out despite the above measures. Even my dog won't touch it, and old tank water is usually his favorite treat at water change time (why do dogs always go for the worst water, especially if you leave the bathroom door open and the seat up, when there's always a large bowl of nice fresh water siting out for them all day?).

One other factor is that it does help, to some degree, in aeration. Given you're going with a tall tank, you have a smaller surface area for gas exchange than in a regular height tank. Not that it should be the basis for deciding to use a skimmer, but it's a nice bonus thrown in.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Speaking of aeration... Do you people use a tank cover or glass top to cover the tank at all?

It's not an issue for fresh water aquarium because there is always air stone in the tank. Not sure about a SW tank.

Thanks

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
A 20 gallon tank is a nano. I have a 15 gallon reef tank with a Emperor 400 ( says it works up to 80 gallons) I also have a powerhead. I don't have a skimmer (may get one) but my corals and fish are fine. Only algae I have is coraline and I have only 3 fish (skunk clown, clown goby and B. Cardinal) I feed my tank a lot (5 days a week) because I have black and orange suncorals. I do water changes every 2-3 weeks about 20%. I believe you can never over filtrate a tank so I would recommend a skimmer, but it depends on the amount of fish and corals you will be putting in the tank as well. I have a glass top over mine and I'm using a pc hood with two 65watt bulbs.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
ok, I will buy a glass top. I figure it may help block some of the heat from the light, specially if I want to buy one of these MH 150w light.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
if you're not going to have a sump don't cover the tank. It will reduce the aeration of the tank.

I used a bakpack on my 20 for a while. It works okay, but not great. People have really liked the hang on deltec. (mce600) but it's pricy.

I also ran a 10 gallon for over a year with only water changes and a hang on fuge. But I did do water changes EVERY week.

B

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
How would the salt water fish get their oxygen from? I mean there is not air stone bubbling in the tank.

I think I would have to tap off the tank every three days if there is not glass top on the tank.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
they get oxygen from the filter, skimmer and power heads. When I didn't have a top I had to top my tank once a week. What corals are you putting in?

Umm... I dont know yet since this is my first SW tank. I am getting all the equipments first, then I will move on getting the LR and cycle the tank.

BTW, do I need any other hang-on filters besides the protein skimmer? I bought a Remora 1200 hang-on already.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: