loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I find these baby snails in my filter socks all the time. Usually 4 or 5 at a time. Originally, I thought they may be sundials due to the color pattern, but I have tons of zoos with no problems and I've never seen anything closely resembling adult sundials. Looking at the shell in the third pic, you can see the shell is a different shape than a sundial and they also seem far too big to be the offspring of a sundial.
I think they are either baby margaritas or baby collonista snails, but I'm up for suggestions. I have very few snails in my tank. Maybe 20 at the most. Mostly cerith snails. I do find eggs often. I seriously doubt these are cerith.
These were placed on a quarter for size reference.

Attachments

• snailID 006.jpg
    snailID 006.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 267
  • snailID 007.jpg
    snailID 007.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 268
  • snailID 009.jpg
    snailID 009.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 262

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I don't know what they are, but I have thousands of them in my tank. They don't get much bigger than that, and I have never seen them harm anything. they seem to be peacfull alage grazers.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I'll agree with Matt that I have never seen any bigger than these in my filter socks. They don't seem to harm anything I can see.
Fred, don't turbos have a more pronounced pyramid shape?

yiliyang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I love those, I don't even know where I got mine. There are now hundreds of them in my 55 gal mixed reef. Never seen them bother anything. They have striped the rocks and glasses clean. I think all the larger snails are starving to death because of them. I like it that way because they are not big enough to knock over my frags. I think the 2" mantis shrimp I have in my tank has been feasting on them too.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
BTW, I'm not worried about them harming anything. I've been picking them off of my filter socks and tossing them back into my tank for months now and I don't seem to have any issues. I was just looking to see if I could narrow the name down a little. I looked at the sites Deanos posted in the hitchhikers thread and the closest I got were margarita and collonista.
Even though I put them back in my tank, I've never seen them in there, but I find them in the socks all the time. I gotta check my overflows.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Collonista are "mini-Turbo snails." They are seldom purchased by hobbyists, but are relatively common in reef tanks anyway, because they appear to hitchhike in on live rock or in some live sand. When hobbyists first see them, they presume them to be "baby" grazers of some sort. Instead, they have some of these animals. They reach a maximum adult size of about 1/4th inch (6 mm) in height and diameter. They are often tan to white and have mottled brown color patterns on the shell. They can be distinguished from all other Trochoideans by their small size and the presence of a small pit or hole in the center of the calcareous operculum that plugs the aperture. They reproduce well in aquaria, and are quite good grazers. If present in large numbers, they may effectively replace all other grazers in our systems.

Collonista. These small Trochoideans are distinguished by their minute size and
by the small pit in the center of their operculum.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/index.php

Last edited:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
NO harm until they get your float valve stuck in the open position emptying your top off water :lovestory

I say pyramid trochus baby's

House
Come on Jim... you think I dropped 3 large for nothing? The Dialyseas compiles top off averages and if it goes too far above your average top off, the alarm shuts it off. Maintains salinity very closely.
Okay... now I'm just bragging.
That is good info though for those with top off and something that should be watched for.
trochus pyramide, huh?

Last edited:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I just took a look of a trochus pyramide. No way. I agree with Phil on this one. trochus collonista. From what I see, they are closely related.

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Collonista are "mini-Turbo snails." They are seldom purchased by hobbyists, but are relatively common in reef tanks anyway, because they appear to hitchhike in on live rock or in some live sand. When hobbyists first see them, they presume them to be "baby" grazers of some sort. Instead, they have some of these animals. They reach a maximum adult size of about 1/4th inch (6 mm) in height and diameter. They are often tan to white and have mottled brown color patterns on the shell. They can be distinguished from all other Trochoideans by their small size and the presence of a small pit or hole in the center of the calcareous operculum that plugs the aperture. They reproduce well in aquaria, and are quite good grazers. If present in large numbers, they may effectively replace all other grazers in our systems.

image019.jpg
image021.jpg

Collonista. These small Trochoideans are distinguished by their minute size and
by the small pit in the center of their operculum.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/index.php

I'm feeling left out.:sad2:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
There are different types of trochus. Pyramide and collonista being a couple of them. That is why my post says its a trochus collinista and not a trochus pyramide.
It was an oversight on my part and my mistake when I posted before that leaving out the pyramide and only punching in trochus. Sorry for the confusion. I'll edit my posts.
Yes Jim, a proud whore, but a whore none the less. I like to call it "well planned gear selection". All my stuff may not be top of the line... some is... but for the most part, I tried to appropriate my money best to accommodate my husbandry, work schedule, etc. I try to minimize door stops, but I haven't eliminated them completely:redface:.
I consider the tank itself to be the reward of good planning and execution, the best selection of gear for your specific needs, along with some skill, knowledge and a little luck.

LOL... You guys didn't buy into that line of BS, did you? Who am I kidding? I'm a whore and I want to buy more gear. The new basement system will be up and running shortly. :thrash:

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: