kgoldy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I'm setting up a 40 breeder sump, for which about half will be a refugium- the rest will be skimmer/return. Similar to this design. Drain would go into the left chamber, through the skimmer and bubble trap into the center chamber where the return pump is. A small pump (separate from larger return pump) would pump water through a tube into the fuge chamber on the right slowly to allow for nutrient export via macro algae.

I'm curious if a deep sand bed, or LR rubble would be better to have in the right (fuge) chamber. I've seen both at LFSs, and each has their own opinions about what's better... So what's the general consensus on MR?

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
I personally have both in my fuge plus macro algae.
And if you are going to use that design you don't need 3 baffles between the fuge and return, also you could do 2 things to feed your fuge, build a manifold and divert water to fuge, or t off the drain and divert from the drain with a ball valve.

kgoldy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Thanks, R.

I was planning on just a single glass wall with maybe some egg crate at the top on the right side, instead of the three baffles like the design I linked to.

I guess my concern is with detritus buildup in LR rubble because it'll be relatively low flow. How do you deal with this? Or is it not a problem?

T'ing off the drain would mean some of the water doesn't get the chance to go through the skimmer... Is that okay?

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
I have a 40b as a sump/ fuge ,, but I have my sump on one side,, fuge on the other ,, with the return in the middle

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: