techreef

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as much as it TOTALLY reeks to do it, i'd agree w/ jf2381, and drain your tank. man, i would lose my mind if i came home to see my tank shattered all over the floor because the stupid stand gave way. and you've got critters in your tank now too, so that's even more guilt to deal with.

i'd guess that the beetles were already inside your stand when you got it. Have you checked around your house for any other damaged wood? Did you bring anything else in recently that may have introduced them to your stand/house? You def. have earned a free karma pass with this whacko problem!

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
omg leslie, this is about the wierdest thing i've heard. good luck....and since that tank you got is from a chinese manf. (you went with the one from fishywoo no?) I recommend you call them pronto or go to their local showroom!

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Waiting for FTown to get back to me with the name of the tank dealer.

Prattreef, the algae that I have the most of is Bryopsis. If you hurry, you can be one of the first 150 people to get one of these rare frags! See for sale thread ;-)

Attachments

• bryopsis 005.jpg
    bryopsis 005.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 172

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Man I can't believe what I am hearing. I'm actually surprised that I haven't seen more posts like this. Think about it. Most of the stands that we set our tanks on are made of wood. The chances are against us. Just cross your fingers I guess. Leslie, all I have to say is good luck. Try to remove everything and get that stand out of your house. No need to infect anything else in the house. If you make it a party and provide beer and chips I'm sure a ton of people will come over and help. Thats whats so great about MR! :grouphug:

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks Allan,

I am still trying to work out a removal and replacement date for the stand. The manuf. said no problem replacing it, it's just a matter of what he has in stock.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
PalmTree said:
If you make it a party and provide beer and chips I'm sure a ton of people will come over and help. Thats whats so great about MR! :grouphug:

I'll be there....in HAZMAT suit. I don't wnat those buggers to wreck havoc on my IKEA set-ups :tongue1: :lol:

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Well thats good news. At least they are replacing it without to much of a fight. You must have my kind of luck. I seem to always run into these bizarre problems when doing my projects. At least it makes for a good story. If you need rubbermaid containers I would not run out and buy like 20 of them just yet. There are enough nice people on this board, myself included, who will lend you things like that. Keep us all posted!

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
yes, very crazy luck!!! Thank you guys for the support. As my tank does not have a huge amount of stuff in it, I should be able to handle the move. No hazmats suits needed!! :)

tomzpc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely one of the strangest stories I've sver come across in the hobby. Good luck getting everything resolved and keep us posted.

Any chance you can post a pic of one of the critters?

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
OK, I am no good at taking pictures, but here is a try...

Attachments

• beetle hole.jpg
    beetle hole.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 171
  • beetle.jpg
    beetle.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 179

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
tomzpc said:
Definitely one of the strangest stories I've sver come across in the hobby. Good luck getting everything resolved and keep us posted.

Any chance you can post a pic of one of the critters?

I agree, your going to win some kind of prize for this thread :)

I don't know what yet :eek:

carpediem212

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
This thread is crazy, Definitely something I will look for when purchasing my stand

Good luck and I hope you got rid of that thing. I would hate to see your other furniture get ruined because of it.

Cheers

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks to everyone. Here is the new stand. Not too exciting as it looks ecactly like the old one:) The manufacturer was great. He personally set the new stand up. So far no beetles!!! Also, scrubbing the rocks and getting more snails seems to have taken care of the bryopsis (cross my fingers). Now just the cyano cycle, and I will be ready to get started!!!!

I will put a link to this thread on my tank thread for posterity :)

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Leslie,

It probably doesn't matter anymore but I think those were carpenter ants not beetles. I've seen whole drafts of heavy lumber chewed apart by these things.

Steven

jenniebutterfly

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
TimberTDI said:
Leslie,

It probably doesn't matter anymore but I think those were carpenter ants not beetles. I've seen whole drafts of heavy lumber chewed apart by these things.

Steven

not ants, only 2 body segments if you look at the picture. but yeah those could cause a ton of damage too.

bubbles4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I'll offer you a welcome, but you posted your introduction to our community in another persons thread......and this thread is over three years old.

Maybe you can get the mods to move this into a new thread of its own.

swimmer

glad it was bumped, was an enjoyable read :splitspin

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: