simike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hello all, Ive been checking out the site for a few months now. Mostly reading and searching your great information.
Since i got called for a ticket for the swap from the waitlist, I thought I should start posting to get to know you guys.
Here is my Setup: Been running for about 5 months(4 monthsw/ coral)
Eclipse 5gal Hex
20 watt 50/50
50 watt heater
125 gph pico pump

4lbs live rock
Aragonite substrate

Various types of mushrooms
Green star polyps
Some zoos
Torch coral
small xenia
some dusters
unknown frag(see below)
1 Yellow tail damsel
1 pepermint shrimp
1 blueleg
4 turbos
1 stometella?

I use di water with instant ocean and reef crystals and sometimes premixed nutri-sea water for changes, which i do about 1 gal every 3 weeks, which ive been told was too much( im used to FW where water changes are king)

temp is 79
salinity 1023
everything else is fine, have dip strips now from FW setup, no good, so i bring water to the lfs till i can fing a good test kit

I dont use any water additives, i feed with frozen BBS and photo/zooplanton cubes and also have something called combo-vital sample , about once a week aside from daily flake for damsel

Please let me know wat you thing about my tank, any improvements, concerns. Will be looking for some nice additions at the swap, let me know what may do well.

And Again Nice meeting you all, looking forward to your advice, i have a ton of stuff to learn.

ps please id this frag, it has purple skin and bright white polyps, kinda soft i glued it to a rock and flops over it and doesnt stand up, its round on the topside and concave on the bottom i think it may be a piece of chili coral? Last Pic

Attachments

• IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0097.JPG
    IMG_0097.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Welcome to the MR insanity. Great bunch o' people, I'm sure you'll enjoy.
Very nice tank. I really appreciate the difficulty of the small sizes. You've done well.

The id of the coral you want in the last pic is very difficult because all we can see are the polyps. We'd need to see the skeleton also.

Russ

simike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Nice to meet you all,
come on i got to be doing something wrong, or could do something better.
What are some corals that would work in my tanks and what should i stay away from.
thanks

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Well Mike, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'd stick to softies, zoos, shrooms. It looks nice. Ask for others opinions and you'll get just that, opinions. You're proving you can do it right, whatever way you've chosen. Sit back and appreciate it, sometimes success is fleeting.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: