magicalmets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Does anybody dose any color enhancements? I currently dose ESV 2 part which from my understanding it has all trace elements. ( I could be wrong) I'm looking to dose Red Sea color program to see if my colors become more vivid. Does any one does iron Potassium etc?

Reefcowboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Does anybody dose any color enhancements? I currently dose ESV 2 part which from my understanding it has all trace elements. ( I could be wrong) I'm looking to dose Red Sea color program to see if my colors become more vivid. Does any one does iron Potassium etc?

I was on the same boat wondering about Iron, iodine, K...i watched Red Sea's color program video and it all made sense. Went ahead and bought the color programs along with testing for the above elements. I dosed as recommended on every water change and actually went with less than what the instructions said.
Tank stayed the same for a while, maybe 2 months. Sps seemed unchanged, growth and color was good, but nothing i could merit the products. Suddenly one day my algae population started to grow out of control. I only had a platinum clown, on a sps stacked tank with GFO reactor, and NO signs of algae. My params are pristine as i religiously do WC's and doent add anything to the tank.
Red algae also started to grow, and i stopped the color programs then. After treating the tank and removing most of the algae, my tank is back to normal. I dont want to sound boring but a good salt( i use Red Sea's coral Pro-Excellent!) is enough with all you need on routine WC's... Do not dose Iron, Iodine or K, it will do more harm than good.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0

magicalmets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I also try Red Sea color wasn't a big fan. I did really hoped it work. So today I ran into the products below. Hopefully it will help my coral.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1371775586.555623.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1371775586.555623.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 578
  • ImageUploadedByReefs1371775634.272718.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1371775634.272718.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 574

Reefcowboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
This new product from AlgaGen could actually be what you are looking for. "AlgaGen PhycoPure Zooxanthellae"

There was something about it yesterday by Dan Rigle:

http://www.reefs.com/blog/2013/06/19/algagen-new-phycopure-encourages-coral-feeding-response/

If these are live free swimming Zooxanthellae, and I understood the first talk of the frag correctly, it could actually work. Now does someone have a microscope to let us know what they see in there? :)

Im also curious to see what this product is all about. I find it sounds too good to be true. Im sure others tried to have similar supplements. Algae Gen also has another supplement that has zooxanthellae, so im actually surprised no one really knew about by now. Would love to read reviews, and will def wait until people have tried for a while until i triy it myself. Reading about it sounds awesome though. Lets cross our fingers

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Well it looks like this time they are inferring that these will actually bind into corals rather than just getting filtered (as any phytoplankton would).

During his talk at the swap, Todd C LaJeunesse was explaining that even though not all symbionts can be used by all corals, a coral can use different species of symbionts.

So it is actually possible that if these can be kept alive long enough, they could actually replenish a coral which has suffered from bleaching.

According to the last picture on this page, it is possible to cultivate symbionts:

http://www.plantbio.uga.edu/~schmidt/schmidt.html

ps: I do dislike the "marketing" image used on these bottles, but I guess you need to use that to sell ... so it might not be a good way to judge the seriousness of the product.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: