bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I want to see what you all are using in your SPS dominant systems. I was using Reef Crystals and all was pretty good except for the sludge left behind in my mixing vats. So i switched to ESV which left NO Residue and mixed up fast n clean. From then on my SPS hasnt been the same either dying or browning. im not saying its ESV but ive had prior issues with the salt with bad batches with high phosphates in it and who knows what else was mixed in there to destroy all my corals which we neither got a reimbursement or an apology or a heads up warning before or after it happened. Im not relating this new problem to the salt and im really at ends wit but Im now thinking it could be the salt in the end as ive heard a few people with similar problems. i may go back to Reef Crystals or Coralife. Seems like Coralife might be the salt for me as the parameters are as close to mine as you get with 0 po4 AND 0 nitrates.

Last edited:

SuRFeR BoY

BooSten Audi A4 -Aim
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I use Reef Cryatals. Alk is about 9.2, calcium is about 450 and mag is about 1380 right out of the box. I've never had sludge build up directly after mixing but if left for a few days with a power head, I will then get a sludge build up. It is besr described almost like a brown grey silt. I always assumed that it has gone bad and stopped storing water and now only mix what I am going to use. Salt is one of those thing that you choose one from the beginning and stick with it. Sps corals hate change and thrive off of consistency and that is possibly why you had some il effects when switching.

Last edited:

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I use Reef Cryatals... I've never had sludge build up directly after mixing but if left for a few days with a power head, I will then get a sludge build up. It is best described almost like a brown grey silt.

Wondering...if it takes a 'few days...to get a sludge build up'... Is it better to have the sludge 'release' in the mixing bucket or in your tank?

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I stop by City Island, grab 50 gallons, toss in a Polypad for the ride home and I'm good.

Usually I use IO as I know theyre a larger company and I supplement trace minerals and cal & mag & alk anyways.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: