SuRFeR BoY

BooSten Audi A4 -Aim
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I finally got a low range phosphate Hanna checker and after testing my water a few times it is consistently 0.00ppms. I know that most people reccomend 0.03. How can I slightly raise my phosphates? I run carbon and i have stopped running Gfo. I feed my tank heavily with both flakes and frozen and fuel and acro power for my aminos. Any advice? Also, NYC tap holds about 1.92ppms. I wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with the Checker.

Thank you,
Peter

bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
I feed with oyster feast a few times a week. I also don't keep my skimmer on 24/7. For the longest time i always thought my phos needed to be at 0.00 or under 0.02. I started letting it rise to about 0.05-0.07 the past few months and sps looks healthier and seems to be growing faster.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Even if your Hanna reading at 0.00 means you have no phosphate. They always room for error on these reading. It can be somewhere a differents of .04. So wait and test again and see if you still get 0.00. Unless you change GFO very often it's hard to run a tank with zero phosphate. If you feed your fish frozen food and supplement feeding SPS. I would say you have some phosphate in your tank. How old has this tank been running.

SuRFeR BoY

BooSten Audi A4 -Aim
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Thank you for the info guys. Did you notice algea growth when you were not running your skimmer 24/7? I am going to retest my water again later tonight. I would think if my nutrients was as low as it says it is, I would have burnt tips on my sps since my alk is consistently 8.9-9. This tank if I had to guess has been running for about a year and 9 months. I do have a huge refugium running on this tank that I wanted to cut out of the mix but I was always afraid to make any changes to the system. My tank is a 80 gallon deep blue rimless with a 30 gallon sump and 35 gallon refugium plumbed into the system :eek:

SuRFeR BoY

BooSten Audi A4 -Aim
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I have had some algae but it has vanished for a while now. Some film appears on my glass after 3 days if I had to estimate. I swill snap some photos tomorrow. I met up with a chill mr reefer tonight and he gave me a piece of film to filter out blue light from my photos. I tested my phosphates again tonight and they are still holding strong at 0. I also shut my skimmer off for a few hours today. Well see how this works out over time.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
That film every 3-4 days I get like 5-6 days,, what is it? Im scared to put any chemicals in there because this is the longest I've ever been able to keep PE on sps in my life!

SuRFeR BoY

BooSten Audi A4 -Aim
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I was talking about algea film. I do yet a whitish calcium like film at the water line which I believe is precipitation. It happens for me after about 6 days or so. My snails will ocassionally chop at it.

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not make to many changes, having 0.00 on your P reading is not going to do any damage. I have had really successful tanks with reading constantly 0 to 0.01.

3 days is pretty normal for film to appear on the tank walls, I have had it go as long as 7 days with no film and the tank was very successful with SPS.

SuRFeR BoY

BooSten Audi A4 -Aim
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The only reason I want to raise my nutrients is because some of my sps appear more of a pastel color. I have been occasionally shutting my skimmer off and I didn't do a 10% water change this week like I normally do. I have also uped the amount of food I have been feeding daily. I will test my water tomorrow and see if the Hanna reads differently.

Metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I've dosed NeoPhos from brightwell to get my phosphates up when I transferred to a new tank. I run about 0.06-0.10 phosphates.
20150724_120141.jpg

SuRFeR BoY

BooSten Audi A4 -Aim
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Maybe I will give brightwell a try. I m going test my phosphates later tonight. It's been about a week and yes I use the green egg, low range hanner checker.

SuRFeR BoY

BooSten Audi A4 -Aim
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
My phosphates are still at 0.00. I tested my friends water with my Hanna meter and his phosphates were 0.62 :eek: Thw hanna meter is definitely accurate. I am going to start dosing nitrates soon.

Metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
My phosphates are still at 0.00. I tested my friends water with my Hanna meter and his phosphates were 0.62 :eek: Thw hanna meter is definitely accurate. I am going to start dosing nitrates soon.

What for? If you want phosphates, shouldn't you dose phosphates? Nitrate dosing is done to lower phosphates BTW. I used Brightwells NeoPhos when my tank had issues after the upgrade to get some PO4.

Edit - oh I said that already. Hehehe.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: