ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Reefomania 50 rimless cube with tttony stand

MR community:

Going to be starting a new cube build and wanted to get the input of the MR community for tips and ideas. I know this is a personal preference decision but once it's set up it's going to stay there for a while.

The first decision I need to make is location. The tank will be in my basement and I am thinking of placing it on the back wall as I walk down into the basement for visual impact. Since it is also an external overflow the drain and return will not be seen if placed on the back wall.

However the other wall where my current Elos midi is located closer to my water source and dedicated electrical.

Here are some pics:

(1) Place tank dead center of back wall (not exactly dead center in this shot) but directly beneath the stained glass window (cons: need dedicated electrical outlet but near box, directly below window and will need to hang lights from ceiling. Will need extensive shimming almost off level by 1/4". Real pain IMO. Pros: symmetry in room and closer to my desk)

5BD8D688-A901-414F-B8C1-4BE9A2E1D3F4-713-0000008474AE3DA2_zpsb0f2fec8.jpg

(2) Place tank off center back wall. Cons: Off center no symmetry, need dedicated electrical: Pros:No shimming needed (level on both ends front to back and side to side). Can hang fixture off of wall and doesn't block window and closer to my desk)

BAD9FFB7-07F8-4CDF-B6F4-198BB845FEC5-713-00000084846872AE_zps62a9263e.jpg

(3) Place tank where elos midi is now

Cons: Can hear osmolator and hum from return pump from my kitchen. Also more work to move existing tank and set up in same location. Can see back overflow box as I come down the stairs.

Pros: Area is pretty much level. Not much leveling needed and closer to water supply and existing 20a dedicated electrical circuit.

CF7A8862-6161-4CDE-953B-FD8C9880114B-713-0000008495502416_zps8145ccb9.jpg

Last edited:

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Equipment List

(1) Skimmer: Vertex IN-80 with ATB Mini Airstar (thanks ReeferMonkey)

(2) Water movement: Probably 2 mp 40w ES

(3) Return pump Eheim Compact 3000+ or Sicce 3.0

(4) Sump: CustomKing Sump or 40 breeder with baffles

(5) Filtration: Filter socks, phosban reactor/maybe bio pellets and carbon

(6) Lighting: Haven't decided yet. Thinking of sfiligoi xr6 but I'm not big into sps and keeping up with dosing so probably don't need it but I still like the look of metal halides as opposed to my existing radion g2

(7) Controller: Going to get an apex unit basic one with temp control and display for now and pimp it out later

(8) ATO: Tunze osmolator

(9) Vortech battery backup

(10) Stand is 4 x 2. Why? Well one day down the road I'll upgrade again but always liked the idea of having some room on either side of the tank. Stand from tttony is built like a Mac truck

(11) Rimless tank with external overflow built by Mark -Reefomania 24 x 24 x 20 starfire front

(12) Substrate: haven't figured it out yet but most likely black cutting board

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
if your looking for it to look right then under the stain glass window it should go... :)

or place the tank where the elos is. Change return pump to a quieter one and dont worry about the osmolator noise its not on all the time ;)...

Last edited:

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
if your looking for it to look right then under the stain glass window it should go... :smile:

or place the tank where the elos is. Change return pump to a quieter one and dont worry about the osmolator noise its not on all the time ;)...

Thanks TonyScoots.

That's where it would look best but if I move it over to that area it is seriously off level by about 1/4" and I hate shimming. Floor is wood laminate with foam backing so it's like being on a carpet on an uneven basement floor. Just worried about it being off level down the road even after I shim it.

I'm currently using a sicce 2.0 for the return but it's the skimmer sicce pump that makes more of the humming noise.

Probably going to keep it off center from the window a bit since I don't like shimming.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
its your tank you do what you want with it. you asked for recommendations and i gave you a good one. in the end its your house and your tank ;).. shimming is not a big deal i dont know why you are stressing over how much of a pain in the but it is, cause its not :biggrin: goodluck buddy

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
its your tank you do what you want with it. you asked for recommendations and i gave you a good one. in the end its your house and your tank ;).. shimming is not a big deal i dont know why you are stressing over how much of a pain in the but it is, cause its not :biggrin: goodluck buddy

Thanks Tony

I'll probably change my mind a few times before I finally set it up. Should have set up the thread as a poll.

You're right about the shimming. It's only off on one side. Not that difficult to place some composite shims under the stand.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Basement is beautiful. Put the tank where YOU want it. Don't worry about shimming if it's less than 1/4 out. Shimming, as Tony said is easy. Over 1/4" it becomes ugly and noticeable. Not saying don't shim it just to clarify.

And save yourself A TON of money. 2 MP40's would be a rediculous waste in that size tank. Spend the money on a pair of WP25's. You won't be dissapointed and your wallet will thank you.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Basement is beautiful. Put the tank where YOU want it. Don't worry about shimming if it's less than 1/4 out. Shimming, as Tony said is easy. Over 1/4" it becomes ugly and noticeable. Not saying don't shim it just to clarify.

And save yourself A TON of money. 2 MP40's would be a rediculous waste in that size tank. Spend the money on a pair of WP25's. You won't be dissapointed and your wallet will thank you.

Thanks! Appreciate the complement. I was thinking of 2 6095's used from a member here as well but I've heard good things about the WP25's.

Also wanted to mention. I just went through your thread briefly and I'm impressed with the build. That's a very nice stand you built and the entire process was very well thought out.

Last edited:

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Ahaaa here you are ;)
Can't wait to see the water in the tank!
Very nice cabinet, can you tell me who build it for you?

GL with your new tank ! :)

Thanks Mark

The guy who built it is tttony an MR member

Nice guy. He's also built stands for other MR members including Jackson6745 and Pseudo69

I still need to do some plumbing, make a sump and figure out how to hang the light

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Received the cutting board for the bottom of the tank from the cutting board company. https://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/

Going black this time instead of white. In time it will be covered in coralline but like the initial look.

These guys are quick since it's local. Ordered it on Thursday afternoon and already have it.

Will post pics up soon. Still debating on where to put the tank but need to decide soon.

I'm ordering silicone tubing for the return pump and going to try to use the eshopps 1" drain spa-flex. Going to go with barbed fittings. Don't know if that's a good idea but I figured as long as the tubing is on tight with plastic clamps I should be good to go.

Also ordered a sicce 3.0 return pump and some loc line. Thanks Russ.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: