Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
So after setting up my tank the first time in a rush because of having the fever and without doing much research and watching tooooooo many youtube DIY videos. I ended up with a over pvc overflow that didn't work so well, a 2x3 bare stand and 1/2" shy of 20L in the bottom of the stand for the sump i wanted. SO FOR THOSE THAT ARE JUST STARTING OUT DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU GET YOUR TANK WET! It will save you money and alot of headaches. That being said after 3 months of the tank running and having pour flow and being an eye sore in my living room i gave in and put everything into Rubbermaid with heaters and powerheads and began to rebuild.

Build Info:

Tank - Aqueon 40B
Sump - 20L
Live Rock/Sand - 50Lbs ea.
Skimmer - SWC-160
Return - Mag 5
Wave Maker - Jabeo WP-10 x2 with Jbwave controller
Overflow - Cpr Retrokit 1500gph box (Went with larger box for Herbie setup)
Lighting - Reefbreeders Photon 24"

The first go at my build... DYI Ribbion Led's and DIY PVC overflow.

The Rebuild! I tapped the tank with a herbie, Hard plumbed PVC, built a new sump, Finished the stand and got some new lighting!

I have to say this hobby is more work then i would have imagined. In the 8 months i have had the tank up and running ive had alot of ups and downs. I will upload more recent pics of the tank. Unfortunately its fallow atm so just a bunch of frags not fish. The last fish that came out of my QT had ich i never treated for it since he didn't show signs until it was in the DT, 4 out of the 6 fish i had are all in QT now and have all been TTed. Oddly enough they didnt die from ich. One carpet surfed on me and the other i found sucked in by the powerhead.

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Thanks guys! Here is the Photon 24 with a DiY hanging kit it still needs to be painted but it does the job. Also an updated pic of the sump. Thanks to Saltwaterinbrooklyn for the cheato!

Attachments

• 20141023_065845.jpg
    20141023_065845.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Well this is what the tank looks like now. Got some pics of the what i hope in a year will be a nice mixed reef tank. Was thinking of changing the aquascape around to a 2 island set up which is why most of the corals aren't placed yet... Let me know what you all think.

Attachments

• Zoa garden.jpg
    Zoa garden.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Ric garden.jpg
    Ric garden.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 145

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Last but not least are the fish they are in QT still cause of ich. Nothing exotic but they are mine!

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 142
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 139

Jzdad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I'm sure it will, just keep doing what you are doing and you'll be alright ,it already shows when you did your research ,that shows you are on the right track and want success.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: