rhdoug

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Studio Reef was started in 1999. It is an Oceanic reef-ready 58 gallon tank that I got from a fundraiser in CT, from House of Fins. They set it up as a fish-only, and after a few weeks I returned the "cycle fish" and traded them in for live rock and reef-friendly fish. I still have the rock and the mushrooms that were attached to it. Many of the other animals have been with me for a long time -- the sebae anemone and the yellow leather for 12 years. The green bubble coral (on the left) for 10 years, the green lobo (left center), the gigantic hammer, neon green candy cane, red&green brain (lower left on sandbed), and a brittle star that is hiding in the hammer 9 years. The breeding ocellaris pair have been clowning around in there for 8 years, spawning continuously for the last 6-7. I know, I don't have any SPS. Sorry. Actually there is an encrusting montipora (sunset or pokerstar) growing near the base of the leather. Starting at the base of the leather, and going diagonally down to the left, all the white patches are sponges. The ones in front of the sun corals just to the left of the anemone, have grown long thin tubes that are visible in some of the pics.

lefttop_zps37baec90.jpg

rightsideA_zps9999daa6.jpg

hammerandassessors_zps36eb1f05.jpg

betta_zps2baf02df.jpg

leftside02_zpsbacbf3ae.jpg

FTS10-23-1400047_zps2965cc6a.jpg

FTS10-23-1400064_zps0461e719.jpg

FTS10-23-1400056_zpsf5b5d699.jpg

rhdoug

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your comments.

The betta was purchased from LA DD in Jan 2013 and is a captive bred fish from Sustainable Aquatics. He one of the most interesting fish I have ever had. The betta was only about an inch long when I got him. Very unusual way of swimming. Slow, methodical, and often backwards. He reminds me of a seahorse in the way he eats, which is also slow and methodical, with a quick "slurp" to suck in a piece of mysis. His mouth is relatively large and bright white. Also seems very curious as to what I am, and will often come very close to the glass to get a better look at me. He is not aggressive, but will hold his ground against the scopas (I never said he was smart) when the tang gets feisty. They usually seem to be friends, but the tang lets him know who is the boss. I love this fish. He is now about 3.5" long.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: