AussieCrazy22

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Rob. I pretty much just finished up the pluming. Time to start the rock work. Another friend of mine Dave (AussieCrazy) hooked me up today with a bunch of rock. I think I should have enough to finish off the tank now. Time to get started. Thanks again Dave, I really appreciate everything bro.

my pleasure good luck with the build

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Its ALIVE..........ALIVE!!!!!!
frankenstein_zps2ee96003.jpg

Hay guys, well I got her up and running last night.
Added the Sand, Rock, Salt (ESV) and water. My Daughters always help me out with the tank. I like to teach about keeping a tank. You never know when they might want their own reef :smile:

IMG_5074_zpsb0a09204.jpg

IMG_5082_zpsfe507604.jpg

IMG_5134_zps987a980f.jpg

IMG_5135_zps84262dac.jpg

IMG_5136_zpsbb40f4a4.jpg

IMG_5139_zps3556755d.jpg

IMG_5138_zps34416ee2.jpg

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Thank you guys :smile:
Yes, I love how my daughters want to be involved in the tank. They always helped me with my 210. They wanted to learn about the coral and fish. They would always ask questions and if I didn't have the answer we would try and find it together online. When ever company came over they would always gather around the tank. My daughter would always give them the tour of coral and fish. What can I say, I am a proud DAD

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Thank yo so much guys!! I was going to go with no sand bare bottom on this one, but decided sand really finishes it off. I just love the look of a nice thick sand bed. I also wanted to make sure I left enough caves and hiding places for the fish and inverts.

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hi Kris, no not really. I did used a little aquastick coral putty to hold down some of the not so stable pieces. But for most part everything locked together pretty good. I used tonga branch rock in the core of the rock work (you can't see it) I like to give places for the inverts to hang. I also feel it helps with keeping some movement of the water.

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
HI Mike, Thank you very much.
Yes, thats what I was thinking. I also left the rock a couple of inches off the back glass as well. I wanted to get some water to circulate back there. When I broke down my 210 I couldn't believe how much crud was behind those rock. I am hoping with the tonga branches and the space behind the rocks will cut back on that.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Your plumbing is very neat, looks well thought out.

I have the same stand and found it very difficult to work in it and could have done a better job at creating a more efficient and compact plumbing design.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

#1 with the manifold all the way to the rear, do you find it difficult to operate the valves?
I ask because I put the valves closer to the front doors and I still have to use both hands for fear of breaking something or knowing loose one of the tank bulk heads.

#2 For your return, if I understand the design correctly you have on
one external pump feeding the right return and the manifold, how are you controlling/distributing water pressure between the returns and the manifold?

#3 Did you eliminate the left drain or was it just not done at the time the picture was taken? If you eliminated it I wanted to know how it affected the tank drainage.

I am looking for ideas on how to make the layout easier to work with because right now I hate it, it's very low, very tight and difficult to perform maintenance on some things. The manufacturer provided bulkheads the tank came with leak if knocked out of place and there is only so much tightening one can do with the little space the provide in the stand design.

Hi Guys, I got to work on my pluming today. Made a lot of trips to home depot but I think I am close to being finished. Not a lot of room down there LOL
IMG_5018_zps9b4bcb45.jpg

IMG_5020_zpsd612b6f8.jpg

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Reef Lover, Thank you very much for the kind words

Hide a mp60 back there :thrash:
Hi MIke, OK.... two MP60's coming up. I put one mp60 on the left and right side. Kris (nanoreefer) is dropping of a MP40 wes for the back glass on Sunday.
IMG_4916_zps16b3787d.jpg

IMG_5152_zps6b61567f.jpg

Hi D5332,
Thank you for your kind words.
Yes, it is a little difficult to reach the back of the stand but after I dial the reactors in I really shouldn't have to touch them much until I have to change the media. I find it better to have them out of the way is better for me.

I had this manifold design on my 210 using the same snapper pump with no problems pushing water. The reactors I am going to plum into the manifold really don't use much pressure only to tumble media. I found very little pressure loss at the tank.

I didn't eliminate the left drain, just wasn't hooked up yet during the picture. (its hooked up now)

I didn't use the factory bulk heads but yes they were very hard to get to, to tighten. I did find putting a platform under the stand definitely helped with access in the stand. I do like how the side panels are removable that definitely helps with access.
I hope this helps and please feel free to pm me anytime. I would love to see pictures of your setup.
Thanks again Guys :smile:

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hi Guys, well it was a rainy day so I had some time to work on the tank. I installed the new Neptune apex controller and sump light. I decided to use the evergrow 160w led for the sump/stand light. I ordered some extras for the neptune, hopefully they will be here soon :big grin:

Time to go work on the lights :smile:
IMG_4948_zpsd2ffdfb4.jpg

IMG_5255_zps18a847ec.jpg

IMG_5253_zps465fcfe4.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: