Masgatigata

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I bought this tank off of another member because my current tank is leaking. Needless to say I will be transferring everything in my current tank to a holding tank until this tank is cycled. I'm currently building the stand. Have the framing almost finished. Still need to add some supports. Do you guys/gals think I need to add a center brace on the front? Maybe I will on the front and back and add a side door in case I need to move the sump. Going to use a 40 gallon breeder as a sump. Have no idea what to use as a skimmer and I need to do some major research on plumbing. I have no idea where to even start. If anyone has any advice or recommendations. please chime in. The more help I get, the better.
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 140dd.jpg
    140dd.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 462
  • tankframe.jpg
    tankframe.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 458

Masgatigata

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Well, I looked at the majority of reef octopus skimmers...they're about 23.4 inches. The inside of the tank will be 24" tall. That should be, I hope, enough clearance. I can always dismantle the stand at this point and make taller if you think that would be necessary.

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
Keep in mind that each protein skimmer has its own recommended water level in the sump for optimal performance. This is why many people have the skimmer on a small pvc stand so that it can be at that height. Mine operates best at 8" water level so I have it raised in my sump otherwise the water level in the next sump compartment would be too low. Another thing to consider is how the skimmer cup is removed. I'm able to remove the cup without needing much clearance however there are many skimmers that will need a 2-4" clearance in order to remove the cup simply because of how it's designed. I know it's difficult since you're transition tanks but it may be best to stop the stand build until you figure out what you want to do with your sump and plumbing. Depending on what compartments you choose to add to your sump and how you want the layout to be may have a big impact on what your plumbing will look like. Good luck

Masgatigata

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
standwtim.jpg

Thanks everyone. Adjusted the height of stand to fit a 40 gallon sump and my new skimmer. Trim almost finished. Paint next. I messed up the left side skin cut but I'm thinking the cabinet doors will cover it up so I'm not too worried about it. I like how the stand came out considering this is the first time I've built one. Who says girls can't use tools?!

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
View attachment 174082

Thanks everyone. Adjusted the height of stand to fit a 40 gallon sump and my new skimmer. Trim almost finished. Paint next. I messed up the left side skin cut but I'm thinking the cabinet doors will cover it up so I'm not too worried about it. I like how the stand came out considering this is the first time I've built one. Who says girls can't use tools?!

looks great, you must be the acception to the rule. LOL
what are you doing for doors?

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i had mine made. they make to your specs. i think it was cabinet door.com
i bought oak, but if your painting don't waste your money.
i think they had paintable grade.

Masgatigata

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Picked up the return today from a member. Going to use a quiet one 6000. The sump is almost finished. Friday some of my friends are coming over to help me move the tank onto the stand. I'll attack the plumbing sometime after Christmas. My lights are 2x 250w Phoenix bulbs and 4 t5s. 2 ATI blue plus and 2 ATI actinics. I bought the lights from a member over the summer. The Sfiglio is a beast. Happy Holidays, all!

tankandlight.jpg

Masgatigata

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Got the tank on the stand, sump is almost finished. I have one more baffle to add. I'm having a bit of trouble with the bulkheads in the overflows. I'm not sure if it's because I'm over tightening or what but the return ones are leaking a bit whenever I add water to test. Anyone have any advise on how to get a tight seal?tankonstand.jpg

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
Got the tank on the stand, sump is almost finished. I have one more baffle to add. I'm having a bit of trouble with the bulkheads in the overflows. I'm not sure if it's because I'm over tightening or what but the return ones are leaking a bit whenever I add water to test. Anyone have any advise on how to get a tight seal?View attachment 174426

It's a common problem with bulkheads and all it takes to cause it is a bit of dirt or sand. What did you use to tighten it?

Remove the bulkhead and make sure the surface of the glass as well as the O-ring gasket don't have any debris on it. Make sure the O-ring is compressed evenly and not wrinkled on one side. Once you tighten it by hand, then a quarter turn with some channel lock pliers should do the trick.

Masgatigata

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Okay, thanks. I will try again. I cleaned the bulkhead and O ring gasket before installing. I also wiped the glass down where it is going to be installed. I've been tightening only by hand. Someone told me to stay away from using pliers because it might do damage so i didn't use them. Is this safe?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: