yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hey guys! I'm working on a build for A middle school. It's school where i work and having been passionate about the Hobby for years Fresh an salt wise i try to pass on the passion as often as possible. I had to step away from the Hobby two years ago due to several unfortunate events. i donated everything from my 90 gallon tank to schools and one or two new reefers.It's been killing me to be out of the Hobby so when i was given the opportunity to set up a tank for a somewhat aesthetic but mostly educational purpose.(Mostly a chance for me to get back into the hobby even if somewhat remotely):thrash:

That said i'm very early in the build and it's mostly baby steps.Part of the Deal was i have to fund it myself so i have a limited budget and will be innovative as possible,which i've done in the past. I only have the tank and stand so far.So if anyone in Nyc has any Parts they want to get rid of or have stuff lying around that they'd like to donate, let me know.Whatever..canister filters,refractometers..lol..it's all relevant and will be made use of. I've been in the 'For sale threads' and talking to a few Reefers on good deals as well.:scratch:

Tank:I have to remeasure the dimensions. larger than a 90..maybe 100/110/120? I've cleaned it up.Not drilled,i'll probably have to do a hang on back overflow i guess. i have to take new pics.
Stand: oak stand needed some TLC,I cleaned and repainted it.

i'll add more info as i go and would like to link the tank to MR as well,since there's a wealth of info and amazing tanks on here.Re-establishing young people to their planet,oceans and our eco systems.

Attachments

• IMG_1911.jpg
    IMG_1911.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1910.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_1916.jpg
    IMG_1916.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_1914.jpg
    IMG_1914.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_1913.jpg
    IMG_1913.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 512

Jlavine

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Good luck. I'm sure you'll get lots of support from the MR community. When the tank is up and running, reach out and I'll donate some zoas.

yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Jlavine I appreciate it. It'll be a little while but I'll hold you to that.:approve: and I agree this site and club is awesome.
Prattreef I DEFINITELY need a sump I hadn't come across any that was to size and affordable and was dreading having to make one. That's a lifesaver! Im sure I can use anything you have.I'm always humbled when people reach out in this hobby. I've been to two swaps,been on two clean up crews and still have never gotten around to a tour of the Pratt reef tank :frown:

yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
xobklynqt143,I greatly appreciate it!I would not turn it down,I've made due with less on my own tanks in the past. I'm also impressed you got a lot into one handle for your name. Lol Sump and skimmer already. That's really awesome! And I just found out the sink has where I can use the faucet adapter for a RODI...that was a major concern for me. Great day so far!!

yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Also it goes without saying,any tips advice,opinion what ever are welcome. you can never know too much and this hobby is all about innovation. Also since i don't have to pay the electric bill should i go with Halides? lol people swear by them,i've always used t5's and had great results.

yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
quick update

Finally got it to its place of residence. It was a one man job so it took a little elbow grease.give it a final thorough wipe down. i'm also considering painting the trim.i'm also getting a canopy. in the end i'm going to work hard to make this thing look cool. Function first of course.

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 381

yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Randy aka Prattreef just donated a dump to the build. As most already know a really stand up guy. He went out of his way amidst personal issues and having left the office to make sure I had the sump in hand,stayed to converse and give me some saltwater tips for running a tank in a school environment. I've done freshwater in schools but this is my first attempt at a Reef. I also scored a few extras as far as chemicals and such. I'll post it after I water test. Thanks again Randy. Every little bit is appreciated.

yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
back on track

I got a little busy with school work and running around so i took a break from the build to gather supplies. i've had the buy them piece by piece. i bought some supplemental leds and i scrubbed and water tested the sump i got from Randy.

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 180

yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
a few days later I went with a co-worker(him in the pic) and dropped some cash with Wingo aka aqua pro builder. Always cool and he cut me some sweet deals so i pretty much one stop shopped there. I picked up about 150 lbs of live rock,some dry,some more rubble. An 8 bulb t5. Eheim pump. i was only able to get one wave pro,i was over budget by then. a few other items. He threw in a few beginner tank items like net,additives ect. he didn't have any overflows available.
i was over budget anyway,so i'll work on the build but i still need an hang on overflow,plastic tubing for the return ect. Or pvc to build an overflow i guess.

It'll have to wait a while.

Attachments

• IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 178

yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Ok Reefdiver is giving me a HOB box which is fantastic,tracking one down was a headache.
i'll post it when i get it of course,but i really appreciate everyone who's making this build possible.I literally couldn't do without MR

yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
idle hands belong on land!

I still need to get Pvc and tubing to connect. So In the meantime and in between time i haven't been idle. waiting for the salt to arrive (i have some but not enough to fill the tank yet) i cured the rocks and started the cycle. i'll transfer the rocks up as it finishes. I started a junior aquarist reef club.the kids helped me make water,check salinity,ect. while learned the chemical and technical side of reefing. i'll have a shot of them later on in the build.
connected the wavemaker,pump,the lights. Cleaned the tank finally.

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0182.jpg
    IMG_0182.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 138

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: