Any advice on setting the water level and questing the system down? The overflow area has a little to much water and I can't get the water level to where I want.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs2015-04-28 00:25:51 EDT.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs2015-04-28 00:25:51 EDT.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 411
  • ImageUploadedByReefs2015-04-28 00:25:59 EDT.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs2015-04-28 00:25:59 EDT.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 406

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Why do you want less water in there? With mine, I have to reduce the flow from the return, which pushes less water into the tank then there is less water or more time for the water to go into the sump.

I have a valve on the overflow pipe in the sump, so I actually just change that when I want to change the water level. Closer to "close" brings up the water level, closer to open lowers it in the overflow section.

Keep in mind this will change the level of water in the DT. mine is about where yours is. I would like it a little higher but I have the gyre and it really makes waves.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
One other thing you can do is put a bit of thin sponge inside thw overflow where the grate is. The only concern is to make sure you keep it clean from major clogs.

It may only need to be the bottom quarter or half inch of the grate. That's where the water falls. That way if you do have a clog, the water will rise, but you still have an ibch of the grate left for the water to pass through. Therefore, less or no risk!

My tank isn't 100% noise free. But it's so low, it's actually relaxing.

Update!!!!

I know, evaporation has been getting the best of me. ATO coming real soon!!!!!

Attachments

• File May 31, 12 19 28 AM.jpg
    File May 31, 12 19 28 AM.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 364
  • File May 31, 12 19 50 AM.jpg
    File May 31, 12 19 50 AM.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 363
  • File May 31, 12 20 14 AM.jpg
    File May 31, 12 20 14 AM.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 358
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 369

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Is that a PSK-75 or 100 skimmer in the sump? I have the same tank and I bought the Eshopps PSK-100 because I needed a skimmer and it was it was cheap and figured it would do the job for the meantime... Well after months of using it, I love it. It is really reliable and pulls out a ton of crap consistently.

Is that a PSK-75 or 100 skimmer in the sump? I have the same tank and I bought the Eshopps PSK-100 because I needed a skimmer and it was it was cheap and figured it would do the job for the meantime... Well after months of using it, I love it. It is really reliable and pulls out a ton of crap consistently.

HA, Yup.. i meant to mention that. I found so many great deals on used equipment i just had to have at that time i kept pushing off my skimmer purchase. Then i got a unbeatable deal for this psk75 $30. I figured i will used it until i decide what skimmer i want and then keep it as a backup. This thing in a beast, I love it so much i might just get a larger cone eshopps skimmer. I had a HOB eshopps 75 on my 75 gallon reef n it was also great.

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Does it seem like the skimmer is unable to keep up with the tank? Depending on your bioload, it may actually be good enough for the tank. The 100 is more than enough for my tank. Since I got it dialed in just right, it idles about 1/2 the time and the rest of the time it steadily pulls thick dark skimmate. My plan too, like you, was to get an Eshopps 200 series cone skimmer, which looks really nice, but now I really think that it's unnecessary, seeing this one is more than capable of handling the tank and I wouldn't hesitate to add more rock n fish. Nitrates and phosphates read ZERO, always. I actually started leaving it off for a few hours a day, seeing my tank was "too clean" and my sps colors were fading.

Last edited:
Does it seem like the skimmer is unable to keep up with the tank? Depending on your bioload, it may actually be good enough for the tank. The 100 is more than enough for my tank. Since I got it dialed in just right, it idles about 1/2 the time and the rest of the time it steadily pulls thick dark skimmate. My plan too, like you, was to get an Eshopps 200 series cone skimmer, which looks really nice, but now I really think that it's unnecessary, seeing this ones is more than capable of handling the tank and I wouldn't hesitate to add more rock n fish. Nitrates and phosphates read ZERO, always. I actually started leaving it off for a few hours a day, seeing my tank was "too clean" and my spa colors were fading.

do u have the psk75 or psk100? what size tank?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: